Sunday 6 August 2017

Trent.



   
The above pot is by Trentham de Leliva, my one-time pottery tutor, and friend.

Trent (as he was known) was something of an enigma. Just to look at him you knew he was a man to be reckoned with.

He was tall and slim with a very 'lived-in' face. Otherwise I knew very little of him.

His home was in one of Brighton's most prestigious non-sea-facing crescents, and he always drove classic cars.

The last time we met was at a Garden Centre up by Brighton's Racecourse, where he was wandering aimlessly between the rows of plants. We had a short chat, talked of old times, and that was it. He'd seemed very pleased that I'd approached him.

Trent died not long afterwards in 2012, and the only thing I can now find about him (on the net) is this one rather uninteresting jug. Back in Oct' 2015 one of his pots had been offered on Ebay, but it received no bids.

A highly talented potter who has simply disappeared.


Just in case you own a pot with a capital T inside a circle stamped into the base, it would be by my old friend Trentham de Leliva; you should treasure it.


17 comments:

  1. He is remembered. That is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there are others who remember him too, but I'm surprised that the net is so sparse on info about him.

      Delete
  2. The jug looks a classic. Pity his work isn't more well known . How about your pottery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only ever made one pot that I was proud of. Lady Magnon gave it to a charity shop, not knowing that it was my prized possession.

      Delete
    2. Lady M's prized possession Cro, might find himself featured on ebay... but wait if she uses your blog photo... the old crock will be safe... no bids.

      Delete
  3. Interesting post Cro. These artists who were talented but never made headlines just seem to disappear after their deaths leaving only a few things behind - and yet they were so talented.
    My first husband, who was a good painter, had a tutor - Toni Bartl - Czech I believe and a 'displaced person' as they were called after the war. His paintings were very distinctive - I have one which was given to us as a wedding gift - I also have one of his drawings - but on the whole he is forgotten. I think you have to make headlines in order to go down in history.
    Incidentally - I love your pot - both the shape and the colour and I wonder whether the two 'fingerprints' on the side were also a sort of trademark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about the finger marks, but you're probably right. Very few potters make headlines, off hand I can only think of Bernard Leach.

      Delete
    2. I had to answer a Skype call, and didn't have time to type Grayson Perry, otherwise I would have.

      Delete
  4. I thought it was another post about cricket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a large Michael ' Mick ' Casson pot in the garden with hostas in it ..... I think that we should bring it in the house really !!! Your pot is lovely. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some 'studio pots' are worth quite a bit too; indoors might be safer.

      Delete
  6. I feel that that pot should have ale in it or possibly just drawn milk and be passed around the table. I have a couple of pots by a jamaican potter friend, who is unknown. I think I shall have a google and see if she IS remembered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't surprise me if it had NEVER had anything in it.

      Delete
  7. -same for my friend's father. He was a painter, sculpture, & Goldschmied. -a huge talent. I think a nephew put on a local art exhibition commemorating the centennial of the artist's birth a few years ago. Beyond family, friends and former students, hardly anyone would know of his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally I don't mind. I have never embraced the Gallery system, so have never been written about.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...