Wednesday 1 August 2012

Summer Delights. No 2, Tomatoes for Brekkers.



OK, there's no breakfast to compete with bacon, eggs, black pudding, and a few gently fried lambs kidneys; but coming a close second is this wonderful Summer breakfast that people tend to overlook..... Maybe it's the downright simplicity!

Every household has the ingredients for this rustic dish of Tomatoes on Fried Bread.... they are 'a couple of tomatoes from the garden, and bread'.

I fry the bread in plenty of good quality Olive Oil until browned and crisp (I do one side only), fry the lightly salted and peppered halved tomatoes in the same pan until softened, and carefully position them on the fried bread. The whole is then drenched in Worcestershire Sauce (only wonderful Lea and Perrin's will do).

This recipe, and others, can be found in my book 'Cro's Egg sucking for Grandmothers'!

Nota Bene: Worcestershire Sauce is occasionally called Worster Sauce in parts of Essex and the North of England, and always called Worcercesterashoreshire Sauce in the USA. It's all the same product, but much better known simply as Lea and Perrin's. Life (breakfast) wouldn't be the same without it!
Posted by Picasa

18 comments:

  1. Oh, those tomatoes do look good - roll on summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this very same meal for lunch a couple of times a week Cro - it is truly delicious and could quite happily eat it every day - I prefer it with cherry tomatoes though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delish!!!! also the Lea Perrins is available here by that name..seems world wide and popular..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomatoes and bread, a combination made in ... well, on a plate, under the grill, in the oven, over a barbecue. A touch of garlic, fresh pepper, lumpy sea-salt and, with my peculiar proclivities and taste buds, even a touch of Soy to replace the Wustah. Or some mustard ... Soft, warm white bread with a thick crust, warm tomatoes and a threatening of mustard ... I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes...that is pretty much how most people pronounce it in the US also! I have never tried Lea & Perrins on tomatoes...will do so when we get back home to our garden! Thanks again Cro.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dads Moms family came from Birmingham and Oldham(?)...is that Essex? We have always called it Wooster in our family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for reminding me Cro...time to re-stock, we are almost out of Lea and Perrins!
    I use it in just about every (meat) sauce I make...just a dash adds depth and flavour - it's a very good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You truly know how to eat in season—with flair. Nice looking tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have bread, I have tomatoes. I even have what my gandson once called "whore she hire" sauce. Yes he really said that. He was 3. So I guess I have breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And don't hold back on the 'whore she hire'.

      Delete
  10. Nothing in the world tastes better, to my southern palate, than home-grown tomatoes sliced, salted, and served as a side dish to scrambled eggs and cheese grits.

    YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cro.. I would love to try your "other" breakfast. My wife, LadyCat, bakes garlic bread in the oven with tomatoes and cheese. Absolutely wonderful with a glass of wine.
    How has been your summer? Very hot and dry here in Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been very hot here too, Lord T. Even the (unheated) pool temperature has lingered around 28 C. I love it; but Haddock's (my veg garden) doesn't.

      Delete
  12. Yum. A vicarious taste of summer very welcome here in the heart of a New Zealand winter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sorry to say that I have never taken to black pudding, but I have lots of heirloom tomatoes in my garden. My Dad used to make the best fried bread. I am going to have to try out your recipe. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...