Saturday 28 October 2023

Other people's pleasures!

 

I'm currently reading a book entitled 'Landlines', by Raynor Winn. She and her sick husband Moth (Moth has something called Corticobasal Degeneration...CBD) decide to go 'extreme trekking' in the highlands of Scotland. This is something they did throughout their marriage, and they wished to do it one final time, before the inevitable.

For someone such as myself who dreams of Mediterranean skies, quiet shady bistros, and warm lazy days by the pool, the idea of punishing oneself to the extent of being permanently freezing cold and wet, having seriously blistered feet, and to be (Moth) at death's door whilst scrambling over rocky snow-tipped mountains, and through raging freezing rivers, seems like the worst type of punishment I could imagine. But this book is proof that there are people out there for whom such extreme suffering is their idea of pleasure. I would call it masochism.

In my own family my Mother loved sunshine and beaches on the Med', whilst Father preferred mountains, glaciers, and long exhausting walks. My sister and I sided with our Mother.

The book itself is 'a good read', and beautifully written, but I can't get past the blistered feet, the permanently wet clothing, and the wind and rain that freeze you to the bone. 

Anyway, it hasn't stopped me reading about it.

I've just noticed on the cover that the book is another Sunday Times No 1 Bestseller. I seem to be making a habit of reading such things; but not on purpose.

31 comments:

  1. I have read The Salt Path and The Wild Silence but not this one yet. While I do not enjoy walking in wind and rain I much prefer a walk in the bush to sand and sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very tough going for them, I can't see the pleasure in that!

      Delete
    2. The Salt Path while loved by many was not so by me. I thought them mad particularly the woman. It ended up in the woodburner.

      Delete
    3. She got on my nerves in places.

      Delete
  2. I have read the first two books, like Susan.
    I can understand why they need to keep in walking and be in touch with Nature, and walk lightly on the Earth. It is very interesting that walking keeps Moth alive.
    Perhaps some medical treatments should be reviewed in light of his experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if he is still alive. I would have thought that this walk would have seen him off!

      Delete
    2. That is what they thought the first walk would do

      Delete
  3. I have heard about the first two books but not yet read them. From your comments Cro., this latest on, however well written, is not something I'd particularly enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would describe it as unpleasantly gruelling.

      Delete
  4. I read The Salt Path a few years ago and while the writing was good it seemed a bit unbelievable. I diidn't believe that everyone they met all helped them. By the end of the book Moth was able to lift heavy objects( he was at deaths door even then)and the last people they met rented them a house and Moth started a course at a university. I didn't understand why their grown up children didn't help them. Their hardships seemed self inflicted. No sorry ,no more books for me from this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does write very well, but that's about it. It seemed crazy to me to take someone so ill out into such conditions.

      Delete
  5. I wondered what to expect when I saw this post's title

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the first one - The Salt Path. I really enjoyed it but haven't come across the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have also read "The Salt Path" and "The Wild Silence" but I found that second one irritating for several reasons so I will not be reading "Landlines".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a book I shall be reading a second time.

      Delete
  8. I read the previous two books, I didn't know another book was coming out that I probably won't read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't bother. The other two are better.

      Delete
  9. I get it. It's their Everest the Hard Way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are such nice hotels in Scotland,

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many bad reviews/comments
    I'm surprised. But I've only read the first one. It'll have to fall into my lap for me to read it. Don't think I'll find it in the lending library here. But I'd like to see what they're up to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one stage they lie fully clothed in a freezing stream to wash their clothes. Mad or what!!!

      Delete
  12. A lot off people found the Saltpath to be profound. It was dumbfounding to me that they embarked on this so poorly prepared. It was not much different from Into the Wild in that respect. Their lack of preparation did not kill them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone they meet en route seems to be far better prepared than them. And probably less foolhardy.

      Delete
  13. I'm with you and care not to be out in the wilds roughing it. Give me a nice 5-star hotel any day and I'm one happy girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even in a 1-star hotel I'd be happier than in the freezing cold, up a Scottish mountain.

      Delete
  14. That's the sort of book you read while sitting on or near a warm and sunny beach so when the pages chill you too much you can just look up and around and be glad you aren't 'in' the story.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...