Saturday 5 August 2023

Happy Birthday Father.

 

Other than Christmas day, and my own birthday, the day I never forget is that of my father's birthday; August 5th.


I think quite often of my late father. He was a very generous man. Anyone who had shown him any type of special service during the year would always receive a bottle of good Whisky or a case of some nice red wine at Christmas, and his staff would always be given a generous envelope bonus along with their wages. 

I don't know a great deal about his own family life. I don't think he liked his mother too much (I'm sure I remember him calling her a 'hateful woman'), and his older brother became something of a playboy. But he didn't let anything of this affect his life. He and his brother were both privately educated, neither went on to university but father did study accountancy to a certain level before going to work in the accounts dep't of a Textiles Co (Morley's) in the city of London. They manufactured everything from woollen blankets to gloves and vests. At that time the name Morley's was synonymous with the highest quality products. He later went his own way in various businesses.

Father was born in 1905. His great loves were long walks with his best friend and 'best man' my Uncle John, hill climbing, and the Stock Exchange. He didn't like sandy beaches, and was far happier up a freezing cold glacier in Austria or Switzerland than he ever would have been in a beach bar in Ibiza.

He offered me a very good life. We never lacked anything as children, but I don't think we asked for too much either. I like to think I've followed his example of being kind and generous, but I know that I could never match his example.

He also had a social conscience. He was a parish and county councillor, and was head hunted by Geoffrey Johnson-Smith to become a Conservative MP; which he declined causing a huge row. I remember hearing a lot of shouting from the upstairs landing! I seem to remember that he would only stand as an 'Independent Conservative', as he didn't agree with all Tory policies. Either Ted Heath or Sir Alec Douglas-Home was PM at the time, and Johnson-Smith was the MP for nearby East Grinstead.

Father was diabetic, and he probably enjoyed his Whisky rather too much. The poor chap ended up as a double amputee. He never complained.

He would have been 118 years old. RIP. 

27 comments:

  1. I couldn't possibly write this much about my father, but at least I still remember his birthday, though he is also dead now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always remember my father's, but not my mother's; I wonder why? I was much closer to my mother as well.

      Delete
  2. morning Cro, My job was a collar linker .I worked on M&S knitwear. For a short time I worked for Morley's on the sock linking.( linking the toe section to the sock ).It was fine work, requiring each stitch to be put on a separate needle on a circular machine.As you said , Morley's goods were 1st class textiles.Skilled job and good pay.( around 1967.) in Derby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luxury knitwear is still made at John Smedley's Derwent Valley mills. I watched a video of the linking process earlier. Apart from them I couldn't name another English textile company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morley's and Smedley's are almost names from the past, I'm pleased to see that they are remembered, and that Smedley is still around. Most of their products now come from China or Bangladesh these days.

      Delete
    2. John Smedley has Made in England on their knitwear. Still made near Matlock since 1784. The first factory.

      Delete
    3. Sorry, I didn't mean 'their' products, but the type of products they used to make.

      Delete
    4. let you off then, haha.

      Delete
  4. My dad will be 100 next month. He passed away five years ago, very clear in his thoughts, but very sad because he could no longer walk and needed help with everything. He was a highly regarded children's author and a great admirer of English culture. He served in the British Army in World War II and was very proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope his grandchildren are familiar with his books. It must be wonderful to be read bedtime stories written by a grandfather.

      Delete
  5. He obviously inspired great affection. I am sure you will raise a glass to his memory today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may have mentioned this to you before but August 5th was my own father's birthday. It was also my oldest brother's birthday and last year it was chosen deliberately as the date for my youngest brother's funeral. Consequently, as in your life, it is a day for remembering,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, it sounds as if you have more reasons to remember the date than I do.

      Delete
  7. I try to light a candle for my mother and father in one of the little white churches . They're are always open, quiet and peaceful. I can think my thoughts without interuption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably do much the same, but it would have to be a church with some connection to them.

      Delete
  8. Being remembered is imortaity

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely tribute from a son to his father Cro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could write a lot more, but I think it would bore you.

      Delete
  10. You show a great fondness and admiration for your late father. He was a wonderful role model to be emulated by generations to come. Nice tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my grandsons will think kindly of him. They know his photo, and I tell them about him. But who knows.....

      Delete
  11. Do tell your grandsons about him. They need to know. I know very little about my grandparents and wish I knew more. All died before I was born or when I was very young. My paternal grandfather came over from London to the States with wife and 3 kids in 1918. Dad was 11. That's about all I know. Your dad sounds like a good man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's very important to know where we come from. We too have a distant relative (William) who went to New York. I have no idea what happened to him and his family. All I have is a letter saying he'd arrived, dated about 1918.

      Delete
  12. Dropping by via signora Pipistrello ... to read a fine tribute. Good on you. I'll have a wee dram of Talisker on you and your dad's birthday.
    The peace of the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sean. I'm not a whisky drinker myself, but I always buy one bottle of best quality Single Malt each Winter. That wee dram on a cold evening does a world of good.

      Delete
  13. I always enjoy reading about your father, Cro. What is remembered, lives. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to remember him (in print) every year. He gave me so much.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...