Thursday 26 June 2014

Fruit and veg; June.



Fruit-n-vegs are rather like London Busses, they all turn up at once. Now that our Calabrese is finished, we are inundated with Cauliflowers. Lady Magnon suggested that we freeze some, but I'm not convinced; these things tend to loose much of their quality when de-frosted. I think we'll just have to eat them, give them away, or make curried pickles (see here, and below).


I planted this 'yellow' Cherry about 8 years ago because someone told me that the birds become confused thinking that they're still unripe, and leave them alone. There may be some truth in this (although I doubt it), as the huge murmuration of Starlings that have recently taken up residence nearby have yet to descend on them. They are slightly firmer than the usual red ones, but the flavour is the same. The tree is loaded, delicious.


We also have a good supply of red cabbages. These will be eaten as an instant pickled cabbage for lunches. About an hour before eating I shred them finely and lightly sprinkle with vinegar salt and sugar, I turn the mix over a few times, then hey presto; instant pickled red cabbage.  

Also on the Magnon table are Courgettes, Beans, Tayberries, and Salads. We are still awaiting the first Tomatoes.


And here's that curried pickle I mentioned above; just made. The very light pickle, combined with the curry flavour is surprisingly good; eat after about a week.

p.s. Our new Fridge-Freezer has arrived. Thank goodness, in this heat it's essential.


25 comments:

  1. Awesome produce and i have never seen yellow cherries. There might be something in that as i know that birds are attracted to the colour red, hence i have no strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have good yield of veggies from your garden. I have not sen yellow color cherries. The reason said for the color is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Envious
    My bosoms have produced nothing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very nicely done!

    I like the idea of making instant pickled cabbage. We have coleslaw here in the south regularly, which is fairly similar. And in the summer, my family has always sliced fresh cucumbers and mixed them with vinegar, salt, and pepper and served them with meals after 30 minutes or so. Sometimes I save the juice from my favorite commercial pickle to marinate fresh cucumbers in.

    I'll bet pickled cauliflower is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite pickle is my cauliflower pickle. Soak in brine overnight then drain it and cover with vinegar and add peppercorns and any other stray things like shallots or green beans etc. Eat after about a week. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like this. The pickle is one third vinegar and two thirds water, with salt sugar turmeric and curry powder. It's surprisingly good (although I haven't yet tasted this year's lot).

      Delete
  6. Cauliflower also makes piccalilli, my favourite with a cheese sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cauliflower soup freezes okay. If you are looking for another recipe to use up your cauliflower, maybe try this: http://120dollarsfoodchallenge.com/2013/05/30/day-9-iains-cauliflower-rice/
    I've not tried it (yet) but it looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never thought of doing that. I think I might try it, but leaving the tiny florets intact.

      Delete
    2. I'd be interested to know how it turns out, if you do try it.

      Delete
  8. What bounty from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gone a bit crazy. Unfortunately my tomatoes aren't yet ready, or I'd start my bottling.

      Delete
  9. Cauliflower soup or cheese wouldn't freeze well?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do a cauli and potato curry that might freeze if the veg weren't overcooked. It certainly keeps in the fridge for several days tho'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your veg looks super. We scrumped some yellow cherries from our neighbour last year and they were really sweet. Funnily enough we've got a lot of starlings around this year, never noticed them previously.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You could make cauliflower soup and freeze it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, we've been eating Cauli-n-Courgette Soup for several days.If I mention your idea to Lady M, I think she might get her Rolling Pin out.

      Delete
  13. Fabulous results. My garden has yet to produce anything at all. Even the pear trees lost all the buds to the ants. Weather has been either blazing hot or biblical deluge. One of my favorite memories of visiting a friends farm in Dordogne was picking and eating cherries right from the tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I'm doing with my yellow cherries.

      Delete
  14. I like to freeze cauliflower cheese - its always welcome with an evening meal / Sunday lunch especially in Winter and freezes very well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Picalilli is a good way to use up cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're making me hungry! CHerries are my absolute favourite. It's too cold where we are for sweet cherries, but the two Montmorency sour cherry trees we planted three years back are FINALLY bearing fruit this year. I'm going to do what my friend does: presevere them in honey!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...