In my never-ending search for a decent English Sausage, I recently bought these from Sainsbury's. They promised to be 'Toulouse Inspired'.
I think the French Code de la Consommation folk may dispute their description under their Pratique Commerciale Trompeuse rules and regs, but I wasn't too bothered.
In fact they were very pleasant. Lots of herbs with a slight hint of Garlic, they were meaty and very tasty. The only thing that let them down was the description as 'Toulouse Inspired' which they certainly WERE NOT.
Frankly I don't think I'm going to find better, unless I search-out a pukka butcher who was trained in either France or Italy. But for the moment they'll do!
Verdict: 7/10, I shall certainly keep some in the freezer for 'emergencies'.

23 comments:
Have you tried "Heck" sausages? They do a few different ones but the pork ones have no carbohydrate at all. They are tasty too.
I've seen them on sale, but they look very similar to the 'pink' sausages we're used to. I shall have another look.
Cherchez la saucisse!
Trop de conservateurs de toute sorte dans les saucisses industrielles. La viande est constituée de restes , de gras. Cherchez un boucher et achetez du frais.
Bon appétit !
Huguette
We don't have a local butcher. I buy most of the " Taste the Difference" foods from Sainsbury's. The cumberland sausages are nice too.
Indeed!
I am used to real Toulouse Sausages, which are 100% pure coarsely ground Pork. I don't understand why they don't make the same here in the UK.
These are the best I've had yet, but still not as good as pukka Toulouse Sausages.
The best sausages in England happen to come from Yorkshire. I personally recommend Cockburns of Bedale. They won the Best Sausage Cup at the Camphill Estate Sausage and Beer Festival.
There are good Sausages and Black Puddings all over the UK, but why can they NEVER be as good as an ordinary Toulouse Sausage. I'm just waiting for someone to start making them. It's so simple, just coarse ground Pork with S & P.
Je suis vraiment sceptique concernant les additifs: beaucoup de sel, de l'eau et de colorants même si le produit est vendu "pure porc". J'ai la chance d'avoir un très bon boucher et il y a une nette différence . Je suis étonnée que dans votre ville vous n'avez pas une boucherie traditionelle.
Huguette
The Frogs should be be borrowing Yorkshire sausage recipes - not the other way round! If you like French sausages so much why not buy a French property and go and live there!
The English have a totally different idea about Sausages, as do the Germans. After 50 years living in SW France, I am used to a more natural product, with no additives other than salt and pepper.
Oh for a good English sausage! We used to be able to get them now and again from M&S in Athens and now from the British shop. However they're so darn expensive it's not worth it. Whether you'd call them 'good' is another question. But for us Any English sausage is a good sausage
What are Greek Sausages like? I don't remember having any on my sole Greek holiday trip.
Les meilleures saucisses que j'ai mangé c'était en effet en Allemagne Simplement délicieux. Saucisses plus le pain allemand.
Huguette
I liked the sausages so much I bought the whole country; well, a tiny part of it!
There was a sausage maker at the Findlay Market in Cincinnati Ohio that was worth the trip, what a wonderful memory.
Try Waitrose No 1 Sausages - they are 98% pork, so hardly any other fillers.
In France REAL 100% Pure Pork Sausages are the norm. They wouldn't eat anything else.
I'll remember that the next time I go. Thanks.
Never give up The Great Sausage Search! I asked AI for a poem for gourmets. Here it is:
He sits beside the linen white,
And holds the crystal to the light.
A single leaf of thyme and pear,
Must match the mood, the plate, the air.
The sauce must simmer, slow and deep,
While hungry lesser shadows sleep.
He seeks the rare, the pure, the fine,
In every crumb and drop of wine.
I like to think that the final two lines represent my attitude. I do my best. x
Post a Comment