Saturday, 5 September 2026

Despite everything


This little pink and yellow Antirrhinum (Snapdragon) has battled against all odds, and is growing from the tiniest of cracks in the asphalt; and still it managed to look beautiful. When I went to photograph it, one of my 'more colourful' neighbours was giving it some water.

N.B. Since returning to England, and plugging my laptop into the UK system, I seem to be having problems with my 'comments'. I've tried everything, and Kimbo will come to have a look on Sunday. I'm sure he'll be able to find the solution. Until then.......

20 comments:

New World said...

There was a 24 hour comment glitch. Blogger have now solved it. Welcome back. Rachel

local alien said...

Yes, commenting seems to be coming back now. It was most annoying.
Look after that hardy flower. It deserves to live and bring beauty

Cro Magnon said...

I spent about 2 hrs yesterday trying to find the fault.

Cro Magnon said...

That flower is amazing. How the seed got into the tiny crack, and how it managed to grow, is a complete mystery.

JayCee said...

Nature is wonderful, despite what we do to the environment.

Cro Magnon said...

This almost seems impossible. There is no soil at all.

Meanqueen said...

I haven't noticed a problem with comments. I get so few of them anyway. I just carry on posting regardless. Welcome back. That was a quick drive from France.

Sencosue said...

Welcome back to the UK and you have a floral gift to greet you too. Regards Sue H

Cro Magnon said...

The drive up was tedious, but OK. We had a cabin on the boat, so after a quick meal we slept. We left home at 6 am, and were back in Brighton by 11 pm.

Cro Magnon said...

Yes, a good sign!

Yael said...

This flower is indeed surprising in different places, I noticed it here too.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Re. the comments issu, it was especially annoying yesterday because I had thought up an especially witty comment for your previous post. This has now been resolved. Prepare to chuckle!

Cro Magnon said...

It's a mystery. And lots of people notice it as they walk by.

Cro Magnon said...

I can always use the title a second time!!! If only wishes came true.

Meanqueen said...

That worked really well for you. So organised, like a military operation.

Travel said...

Bloom where you are planted. Find the good, and joy around you.

Cro Magnon said...

I suppose anything can thrive anywhere, although my Tomatoes are rubbish. The skins are tough, and the flavour isn't wonderful. It must have been the hot weather.

Le Pré de la Forge said...

Yes Cro....the heat seems to turn the skins into a tough, rubbery plastic.... ours have only just started producing, now it has cooled a bit...... so we will be having a mixed tomato salad for supper... Lemon Boy, Orange Wellington and Green Zebra.... just lightly dressed with walnut oil and a couple of sprays of balsamic vinegar [actually Aspall's Apple Balsamic vinegar (Waitrose or Sainsburys)]
And that little Auntie Rhino is a perennial, so provided no one poisons it, it will come back next year. The seeds are actually quite small, and you would be surprised just how much "soil" accumulates in a tiny crack like that, in the form of dust mainly!!

Mary Bolton said...

I once watched a Bumble Bee land on a Snapdragon. The lip dropped low and the bee disappeared inside!

Cro Magnon said...

I hope you helped it out again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...