We used to be able to buy a really effective Weed Killer based on Glyphosate. It did everything that it claimed to do; and quickly.
However, those bloody busybodies in Brussels decided that it was far too effective, and that we should now be forced to have some less effective product in it's place. I went looking.
I do like to keep my garden, and pool area, looking as neat as possible. I like a combination of 'Jungle' and 'tidy'. Certain paved areas really do require the regular services of a good weed killer.
I came across this one above. The container was pleasantly colourful, it promised that it was 'Bio', and clamed to kill 99.999% of known weeds (don't they all).
I followed the instructions, diluting by 50% with water, and set to work; it promised to show results within ONE HOUR (Action Express). I waited a few days, but nothing seemed to have wilted; let alone died. I made a second batch using a higher concentration, and was very surprised to see that yet again everything resisted; if anything they seemed to enjoy it.
I began to wonder if I'd bought the wrong product; but no, it was what I'd wanted.
Then I decided to have a look at the label to see what this stuff contained. I was shocked to find that it was no more than WHITE VINEGAR; pure and simple. The same clear vinegar that we keep in the house for various other household purposes. I have a couple of litres of the stuff; it costs peanuts.
I now feel like a right mug. This stuff cost me about £5, and I already had plenty. I hear that Glyphosate can still be bought on the 'Dark Web'. I shall have a discreet look.

12 comments:
Vinegar is allegedly a useful organic, 'green', weedkiller, but of questionable actual success. Much more effective is common salt - used on the joins of paving it works for a few months until washed away. Or you could try pelargonic acid, that really does work, without being a claimed carcinogen like glyphosate.
Pays to read the ingredients list to avoid getting stung like that!
I was seduced by the packaging. I'll try with salt; it's worked in the past. What a waste of money!
My neighbour sprays his driveway with some kind of weed killer. I wish he wouldn't because I don't want my cats picking it up on their feet. Haven't had one die yet so I suppose it is alright. I have weeds coming through the cracks on my driveway and pour neat cheap brown vinegar onto them. That sees them off. Salt has the same effect.
My 'expensive' vinegar does nothing. I shall go out later with some salt.
We regularly find rogue mare's tails popping up in our lawn, spreading from the nearby tram tracks. They are VERY invasive. P has tried everything but has now started to pour used brake fluid (from our local car repair shop) over them. He says it seems to be effective. We shall see.
Beware of The Dark Web - a hideaway for perverts, criminals, Trumpists and worst of all socialists! Only shifty ne'er-do-wells go there... so I guess that you will feel very much at home as you seek out new supplies of vinegar.
Glyphosate can cause Parkinson’s disease. My husband died of it after a long period of suffering. So be glad it is forbidden! Better weed than Parkinson. I wish I knew it before!
Mare's Tail is a nightmare. If you can get hold of some 'contraband' Glyphosate, it'll do the job.
I know, awful isn’t it. The same busy bodies banned DDT which was just wonderful for getting rid of mozzies
To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't even know how to reach it. Do I type-in 'Truth Special'?
I didn't know that. I had presumed there was a serious reason why it was banned.
There are other equally good products for those Mozzies, but not for my weeds!
Post a Comment