Monday, 24 August 2026

RIP Margaret Barwick.


Our oldest friend here has just died; she was 92. She was a wonderful person.

We had just bought our first home in the area, and kept seeing a GB registered car parked outside a house in our nearby small town. The English were very thin on the ground back in 1972, so I was intrigued.

In fact Margaret turned-out to be a Kiwi, who just happened to have bought her car in Blighty. We instantly became very good friends. 


Margaret was a woman of so many talents. I was trying to think how I would illustrate this page, then it seemed obvious to show just one of her paintings; as her photo would mean nothing. I think the painting is in The National Gallery of Cayman.

She was also an internationally sought-after Garden Designer, and has written major works on tropical plants, botanical gardens, and trees. Her book 'Tropical and Subtropical Trees' is to this day the seminal work on the subject. 

But mostly she was just a huge pleasure to be with, we've had so much fun together over the past 50 years. For me, her passing heralds the end of a fabulous era. Such people are exceptional, and we were very lucky to have encountered one amongst them. Her name will certainly live-on, she was loved by everyone who knew her.

Goodbye old friend. It was wonderful knowing you. And it was wonderful having you as a major part of our lives. RIP xx

 

5 comments:

Poppy Q said...

She sounds like such an interesting character with lots of amazing interests and great talent. Sorry for the loss of your dear friend.

Cro Magnon said...

I haven't outlined all her achievements; there are far too many. All I can say is that she was an exceptional woman who has left a wonderful legacy.

local alien said...

RIP.
Your life was enriched by knowing her. Thanks for sharing her story. I shall look her up

Cro Magnon said...

There's plenty about her online. Two of my greatest friends (and both fascinating people) were Kiwis. You seem a good breed!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I found this page from her daughter Jan. It shows more examples of her lively artwork:-
https://www.janbarwickart.com/margaretbarwick

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...