Thursday, 20 August 2026

Pruning.


I think we have 6 Fig trees; two of which are in positions where they are not allowed to bear fruit.

Fig trees usually have huge amounts of fruit which, if not picked, drop to the ground making a mess. If they're away from the house in the garden it doesn't matter, but we have two trees where fruit dropping onto the ground would be very annoying. I'm talking of around the pool.


So, each year they are pruned back to nothing, assuring that next year's growth will not present a fruit problem.

Fig trees issue a nasty white sap when cut, which is irritable to human skin. So one has to take care.

Here I am, half way through pruning the tree by the pool entrance. It's work I do early in the morning, and I take my time. In fact I will take about 3 days; that's how things are aged 80! My relationship with ladders has recently taken a downward spiral.

And this (below) is what it looks like when it's all finished. 

Next year it'll be back to it's lovely 'lollipop' shape again, but will NOT bear fruit, and I'll have to prune it back all over again.


Now all that remains is to prune the Wisteria, a Grape vine, and one Hibiscus. Then all will be Winter-Ready.




 

8 comments:

Susan Heather said...

Looks a good ladder with something to hold on to.

Cro Magnon said...

Yes, I felt quite safe up this one. As you say 'Plenty to hold on to'.

local alien said...

You've got a lot of garden work. I remember that sap from the figs. I picked some wild ones once, clambering through the branches. And needed a shower afterwards.

Cro Magnon said...

It's horrible stuff, and it pours out when cut.

JayCee said...

Oh, shame to lose all that potential fruit. I adore figs and would love to have those trees flourish in my garden but we don't have the right climate.

Cro Magnon said...

Don't worry we have LOADS. I could start a Figgie Pudding factory.

Jennifer said...

I wish I could help you with some of that excess fruit!

Kathe said...

A fruit tree in the wrong place so forbidden to produce. Something kind of sad and ruthless in that. Better than rotting fruit that attracts wasps and hornets. The Tale of the Figless Fig Tree and the Man Who Tended It.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...