Thursday, 13 August 2026

It's the little things.....


Ever since I built our pool's 'Pump House', I knew there was something about it that wasn't quite right.

I had copied the local style as honestly as I could, used hand-made tiles for the roof, and even commissioned a couple of traditional pinnacles to finish it off. But the door always looked wrong. 


I knew where the problem lay, and this year (at last) I decided to do something about it. You may find this ridiculous!

Traditionally, in this area, outbuildings of all sorts have a rustic lime-wash border around all the openings; doors, windows, etc. Originally I think it was designed to deter insects, but I very much doubt if it did.

As the Pump House was designed to look like an old miniature Pigeon Tower, the lime 'paint' needed to look as if it had been there for decades; it needed to looked 'washed away'. I had to build up slowly, and over several days. Had it looked perfectly new it would have been worse than before.

So now, as we enjoy our wine-o-clock drinkies, overlooking the pool, I see how it always should have looked, with its ageing white stripe around the door; and I am content.

It's amazing how something as trivial as a white stripe can actually become so important. NOW, it looks RIGHT! We built the pool in 2004; it's been a long time coming.

 

10 comments:

Kathe said...

You're an artist. You have an artist's eye. That charming building is like one of your paintings. It has to look right. Your soul is satisfied.

Cro Magnon said...

It's been annoying me for years. I don't quite know why I've waited so long to fix it.

potty said...

I thought it was the vertical planks of the wooden door.

JayCee said...

I can understand that feeling all too well.

local alien said...

Yes, it's amazing how a little detail can bring happiness.
Lime wash is used here to border pavements, walls, around tree trunks. It's supposed to keep away insects and germs. When that virus was here a few years ago lime wash was splashed everywhere.

Cro Magnon said...

The door is modern, but I have accepted it. It did apologise!

Cro Magnon said...

Little things can be very annoying.

Cro Magnon said...

Cow barns had their whole interiors lime-washed when they first had BSE here. I don't know if it did any good

Yorkshire Pudding said...

As an artist, you have an eye for detail and I entirely agree with you that that finishing touch around the door was vital.

Cro Magnon said...

You're in a good mood this morning. I would have thought you'd suggest 'Bedlam' for me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...