Sunday, 30 August 2026

Favourite painters.

 

As a painter myself, I have my favourites. One may be for his/her wonderful use of colour, another for deftness of hand, and a third for technique. Each 'favourite' has a quality that makes them stand out from the others.

I have chosen three painters who's work I would not only be pleased to hang on my walls, but each one of them has taught me something special. They are Matisse, Augustus John, and R B Kitaj.

Matisse (Red Studio, above) is not only admired by painters everywhere, but has also become a favourite amongst all social levels as an example of artistic simplicity; his work is 'acceptably modern', and is found on the walls of homes from the most basic to the most exotic. I have even seen reproductions of his work in children's nurseries/bedrooms.

Augustus John was a craftsman. He 'visualised' through his brushstrokes. He was an observer in paint. He had an artistic 'talent' that very few possess. A painter's painter.

And finally. R B Kitaj who was a pure 'paint magician'. Never satisfied with a single view, he combined images to tell a whole story on one page; a painterly collage of subject matter. His use of colour and line are almost unequalled. He painted to illustrate history; never to impress. He was without question a genius. 

As students of painting, and throughout our working lives, we make reference to those who have influenced us; without realising as much. This isn't plagiarism, it is a subconscious recollection of how others may have approached a similar subject, or situation. It is in homage to those who cleared the path ahead.

15 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Honestly, I had never heard of R.B. Kitaj but I am sure that I have seen some of his work before. I am guessing that you knew him when he lived in London? Interestingly he was born in Chagrin Falls, Ohio - a lovely little town that I once knew quite well.

Cro Magnon said...

No, I never met him. I would have liked to have known him, but I believe he was quite reclusive. Have you looked online at his work?

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Yes I have and I can see how he might have influenced your own work - even though your innate modesty has prevented you from revealing many of your canvases on this humble Anglo-French blog. Please can we see some more?

Cro Magnon said...

Maybe. I only have a very few here, mostly they've gone to new homes.

local alien said...

I looked up Kitaj. His paintings appeal to me, not sure why. There's a lot to see in the paintings, colour. Must say Augustus John does excellent portraits. So much character in each one. Intense.

Cro Magnon said...

John was a bit of a rogue, but, as you say, his portraits are wonderful. The painting of 'Robin' has always been a favourite.

Caz.P. said...

my favourite painter is Atkinson Grimshaw. Once went to the gallery in Harrogate to see his paintings and was surprised how big they were. I have a large book with his paintings in plus details of his life , entitled Painter of Moonlight. I never tire of looking at it.

Travel said...

Chagrin Falls, Ohio, the Hamster is from Solon, not far from there.

Travel said...

Seeing creative work, feeds our creativity.

Cro Magnon said...

He was very evocative of his age. A Painter of Moonlight is exactly what he was.

Cro Magnon said...

I hope it does. I can remember taking my youngest son to Sculpture exhibitions, and he would come home and start making things. I still have several of his sculptures here at the cottage.

Traveller said...

Being around great art soothes the soul and clears the mind I find.

If I could have instant access to the work of one painter, I think I would choose Diego Rivera. I have spent many hours sitting in front of his workman’s always saw something new.

Cro Magnon said...

In about 1966, I met his 'wife' called Marevna (sp?), and she invited me to Mexico. She was a lovely lady, but I had no interest in going to Mexico.

Traveller said...

A pity you missed an under appreciated country. The food, the art, the architecture and the history….just stunning. One of my favourite countries

Cro Magnon said...

It was more the circumstances than the country. I would love to visit Mexico now, but at the time I had too much on my plate!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...