Sunday, 9 August 2026

Experimental Jam



Every year we have so many Figs that simply go to waste; I have three VERY BIG trees. We do, of course, eat a lot of them, but the rest either fall to the ground, or become Wasp and Hornet food.

So, I decided to make some Fig and Lemon Jam.


Last year I made Fig Jam, but it was too sweet, so this time I added the juice of a whole Lemon, plus some very thin shavings from half of another. I made just enough to fill two jars, plus a little bit left-over for breakfast.


Firstly I must pat my own back, because it set perfectly. And secondly it does taste very good. I can already imagine myself having it with toast on winter's mornings in Brighton.

Verdict: 8/10. The thin shavings of Lemon are not as soft as I'd like. Otherwise OK.


11 comments:

Susan Heather said...

Sounds good.

Cro Magnon said...

I just had some. It was v nice, but still a bit too sweet for me.

Le Pré de la Forge said...

You could try some fig and lemon chutney... more savoury, but is rather nice as a "jam" by itself on a slice of toast when the jams get too sweet!
There's also fig and walnut in both jam and chutney flavourways!

Cro Magnon said...

I was even thinking that I could re-purpose it as chutney. Add Vinegar, Chilli, Salt, and Pepper? I'll have to look-up a recipe.

I'll make a separate lot. Thanks for the tip!

local alien said...

I've made fig jam in the past. While I liked it no one else did. Fig chutney sounds worth making. I've just made tomato and apricot relish. Really good.
Well done Cro

Kathe said...

Have you ever tried mixing rhubarb into your figs for tartness?

Cro Magnon said...

I have now made some. I added chopped red onion, vinegar, raisins, dark brown sugar, and a few spices, etc. It tastes REALLY GOOD! I made 3 jars.

Cro Magnon said...

See above; I've just made the chutney. A much better idea than jam.

Cro Magnon said...

We no longer have any Rhubarb. I used to have a big plot; I don't know why it died-off.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

You might talk bollocks about Andy Burnham but I applaud your jam-making skills.

Cro Magnon said...

I see that Andy will be going around Britain to ask 'the people' what he should be doing. Interesting!
Yes, my jam-making may be a tad haphazard with weights and measures, but it's fun to make, it keeps me out of mischief, and it tastes good. The latest batch of Chutney is particularly nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...