Sunday, 9 August 2026

Experimental Chutney


Thanks to 'Le Pré', I have added some Fig Chutney to my list of this year's conserves.

It is very similar to the Fig and Lemon Jam, but with a chopped red Onion, Raisins, red wine Vinegar, dark brown Sugar, and some spices etc.

Frankly it's a much better conserve to make, as it will be far more popular. Pickles and Chutneys in our house are consumed very quickly. 


 

13 comments:

Travel said...

The bounty of summer in a jar.

Cro Magnon said...

We had some with a mature 'Cantal' cheese for lunch. It was very good.

Kathe said...

There's something so beautiful about the dramatic colors of the preserves sparkling through the clear glass. Not to mention the $5-$7 dollars something like that would cost over here. If you could find it.

Cro Magnon said...

I also like the idea that something that would have gone to waste, now hasn't. I've always enjoyed the preserving process, whether it be Paté, Jam, Pickles, or Chutney. When I still had 'Haddock's', the store cupboard would be FILLED. The above Chutney is excellent.

Susan Heather said...

That sounds good. I prefer chutney to jam and was just thinking that I should make some tamarillo chutney. If the stall still has tamarillos I must make some.

Le Pré de la Forge said...

As I said, always worth doing..... but I am also happy to eat it as "jam" on toast.... viz:
this morning I had half a slice of toast with Rhubarb and Orange chutney.... nowt else, just the chutney on brown bread toast

Le Pré de la Forge said...

"We had some with a mature 'Cantal' cheese for lunch."
One has to remember that Cantal is Cheddar under its original name.... the monk from Cantal started a new abbey near Avon and used their expertise to make cheese and mature it in the caves of the Cheddar Gorge!!

local alien said...

We don't have enough figs this year to make some chutney. It's perfect for a simple lunch at this time of the year.
I put my apricot and tomato chutney on cheese and eggs. It spices up anything cold.
Well done. Enjoy it.

Cro Magnon said...

This was certainly nicer than the jam. I've just had more again today. I shall be making this again!

Cro Magnon said...

Next year I shall add a little more chilli. I have made a note!

Cro Magnon said...

They are very similar, but Lady M prefers Cantal, and I prefer Cheddar.

Cro Magnon said...

I wish I could send you some. Our trees are LOADED.

Le Pré de la Forge said...

Your difference there will be the "terroire" coming in to play.... for the same recipe cheese, different cattle, caves and grass. I find the 18mnth Cantal to be smoother and less "nutty" than Wyke Farms "Auntie Ivy's" 18mnth cheddar... Auchan sells Auntie Ivy's so I always have some around. Auntie Ivy's is more expensive because they mature it in the Gorge for the last 6mnths....
I'm on my way to bed, but desperately want a cheese sarnie!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...