Wednesday, 12 August 2026

Encornet Géant


I've always been a bit wary of buying fresh Octopus or Giant Squid. I'm not confident about cooking it, and always fear that I might end-up with something resembling a Wellington Boot.

So, having recently discovered this, chilled, ready-cooked, pack of 'Giant Squid' tentacles, and seen that it only needs a few minutes heating time, I knew it had my name written all over it. Whether such things are available where you live, I have no idea.


The pack suggested various heating methods. Frying pan with Olive Oil for 2 mins. Air Fryer for 5 mins (we don't have one). Microwave for 2 mins (No, no, no). Or simply to eat it as it is; it's already cooked.

I would liked to have grilled it over the BBQ, but lighting it just for this seemed silly. So I followed the advice on the pack and fried it for a couple of minutes, just to give it a bit of 'colour'.


I have to say that it was very good, but perhaps a tad more 'chewy' than I would have liked. It didn't have the charred flavour I would have liked too, but if there were more of us I'd buy several packs and light the BBQ.

It was served with a tiny squeeze of Lemon juice, and very lightly salted.

Verdict: 8/10. I WILL buy it again, but the next time I will certainly BBQ it.

 

16 comments:

local alien said...

Even K would buy a pack these days. If it's not too expensive. He'd BBQ it too. Best way to serve, a little oil and lemon juice and maybe some oregano. . You know how to experience the best of life. Oh and ouzo as an accompaniment.
If it looks as though it's going to be a bit chewy, slice it thinly.

Cro Magnon said...

I didn't really know what to expect. It wasn't cheap, and I didn't know if I'd wasted my money or not. We did slice it thinly, it seemed the best way. I liked it, and so did my wife; that can't be bad!

Traveller said...

Lidl sells octopus when they have their Greek week.

JayCee said...

Buy one of those mini flame throwers! (You could use it for your creme brulee too).

Cro Magnon said...

When do they have their 'Greek Week'? My supermarket sells it all the time; but fresh. Maybe I'll ask the nice lady how to prepare it.

Cro Magnon said...

What a good idea. I shall make enquiries!

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry Cro, but the thought of eating tentacles just leaves me cold. A total non-starter. But I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Cro Magnon said...

They have a lovely flavour; not unlike Lobster.

Sue G said...

Aw gosh Cro, you do like some ghastly things don't you? Not to my taste at all, and I feel really sad for the giant squid too... and all those other poor sea creatures like prawns, lobsters, crabs and the like that seem to have to be thrown into boiling water first. Not sure if the squid has to be boiled as well, or is it one of those things that has to be cooked alive slowly?

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I never realised that squid even had testicles! You are welcome to them old chap.

Travel said...

The best I ever had, was grilled over wood, on the harbor on an island in Greece, what a wonderful memory.

Cro Magnon said...

They're not 'ghastly things' at all, they're delicious. You need to have first eaten them in a Greek island taverna, in summer. An experience never forgotten!

Cro Magnon said...

You'd be surprised what they have. And as all Squid are Roman Catholic, they all go to mass on Sundays as well.

Cro Magnon said...

As I just mentioned to SueG above, that's exactly how one should have eaten them. Superb.

Kathe said...

I've had squid or calamari as we called it. I deep fried it. Tasty but tough. Thought I'd share a little poem you can recite to yourself as you barbecue.

Tell me, O Octopus, I begs,
Is those things arms, or is they legs?
'I marvel at thee, Octopus;
If I were thou, I'd call me Us.
Ogden Nash

Cro Magnon said...

That's new to me; wonderful. I shall try to remember it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...