I don't consider myself to be a particularly generous person, but, like a lot of people, I do put-aside a respectable 'four-figure-sum' for my annual charity donations.
My regular charity is Medecins sans Frontieres who do wonderful work wherever they are in the world. I have supported them for many years. They regularly receive a full half of my donations, and are always extremely grateful.
It is just after 8 am as I write, and I have been listening to the Angelus ringing from our village church (above) just 2 Kms East of my house. It has rung morning and evening every day since I first settled in my village back in 1972. The sound of that bell has been an essential part of my life for all that time. From where I'm sitting, I can see the church spire poking up on the horizon.
However, a few years ago, it was noticed that the wooden structure holding the massive bell was in need of replacement, and a fund was launched.
I may not be a church-goer, but I do love old buildings; especially medieval churches. So I responded to the appeal, and donated the other half of my donation fund to the restoration project. I was happy with both of my donations, and really thought no more about it.
However, and I don't wish to sound too churlish, but after quite a long period I realised that I'd heard nothing from anyone confirming my gift, and I suddenly felt rudely ignored. I am not a wealthy person, and for me, my donation was 'substantial'. I hadn't expected any gratitude, but at the same time, not to have any acknowledgement at all felt ungrateful. Neither the Mayor's office nor the Church itself had bothered to say a simple 'Thanks'.
It still irks me, and if they ask for more money, the answer will be a very polite NO!
21 comments:
I totally understand how you feel.....recently I obtained a Slovenian 1 euro coin for a man I met dog walking. ( DIL is Slovenian and apparently it was the one coin he needed for his collection!) . When I met him to pass it over, he just said, thanks, put it in his wallet and we walked on! OK, so it was worth only 85p, but I did think he should have at least offered some sort of recompense !
That's a fine looking village church - the architecture very different from the old churches of northern England. The stonework is so substantial - as if they believed the tower might collapse if it wasn't well buttressed. And if I am not mistaken I believe it is the Église Saint-Pierre-ès-Liens de Loubejac. Perhaps failing to acknowledge your donation was an administrative oversight but more likely it was because they are French.
Ingratitude irks. We don't do kind things to be thanked, but when we're NOT, it comes as a shock.
That was my impression too. My village used to be ENGLISH, and they still haven't got over it.
I can understand why you're attached to this old church, hearing it's bells through the years. Maybe you'll have your name added to a plaque when the work is finished. But confirmation of a large donation would have been polite, routine I would say. I hope the money has gone where it was supposed to go
Yes, the bell is ringing again as it always has. The work was finished some time ago. I wouldn't really want my name on a plaque; I'd rather now forget the whole episode; not than I regret my contribution.
I agree with you. I am treasurer for my village church and always send a note of thanks for donations. Any significant donations are also, with the person’s permission, given separate disclosure in the annual accounts. For all major building works there is a notice in the church describing the work performed, why it was necessary and thanking all organizations that gave grants or people who donated to the project.
Churches in my part of the world, and I suspect it is the same in rural France, are really struggling because of declining congregations and rising maintenance costs.
We don't have a priest any more; no-one wants the job. However, that doesn't stop us looking after the structure itself, which is beautiful.
The last couple of years I worked, I send handwritten thank you notes for donations, large and small. It is a simple step. I tripled our individual donation amounts in two years, and the person who replaced me, does not even send an email. Donations have dropped off, and she wonders why.
I suppose (if I'm honest) one of the reasons I continue to donate to MSF is that they always thank me, and make me feel as if my donation matters! It's good to feel that one's money is appreciated.
I read that as 'if it wasn't well buttered'. The mind boggles!
In fact the church looks to have more buttresses than church. They obviously wanted it to survive.
Who owns the building?
I really have no idea. Wouldn't it be owned by The Catholic Church? The cemetery is owned by The Mairie, but I suppose that's different.
I think the mairie owns the church as well.
I donate to animal charities, Guide Dogs gets most of my funds.
One of our sons grows his hair and every couple of years donates it charities that makes wigs for cancer patients. The first year he did it, I tucked a cheque in with the hair shipment. Nobody got a thank you note. But the cheques was cashed.
I'm very cynical when it comes to Cancer charities. So much money donated and still no closer to a cure.
This year, it will be Guide Dogs and the Veterans Food Bank that will get my donations.
I am sorry your donation was not acknowledged. It is such a simple courtesy
Good for you 50. We should all have a cause that we support; guide dogs do such amazing work. I'm a big dog person myself, but I've chosen elsewhere.
I'm not a Christian, but I was brought-up in the Christian tradition. The Old Testament suggests that we donate 10% of our income to those who need. But when that donation is met with a not very Christian response (especially the church), it makes one wonder !!!
Seems like another manifestation of the general lack of manners these days. Very irritating!
MSF was created in 1971 by french doctors and journalists...
Post a Comment