Tuesday 23 July 2024

STRICTLY

 

Strictly Come Dancing is a BBC 'reality TV show' that began back in 2004, with professional dancers being teamed with amateurs in a dancing knock-out competition. I believe that the format has been sold to several other countries, where I'm sure they enjoy it as much as they do in the UK.

I've watched the show on several occasions, and one of my favourite participants was the ex-politician Anne Widdecombe (above on floor). She did her best, poor gal, and was thrown about by her pro-partner, Anton du Beke, like a bag of potatoes. All who saw that episode will never forget it.

The programme has recently come under fire from some of the amateurs, claiming that they were bullied, or even assaulted by their pro's. The papers have been running stories for the past few weeks. I noticed recently that even the lovely Anne Widdecombe herself has now joined the controversy, and has told many of the amateurs (especially the celeb-amateurs) to stop all their 'whingeing and whining'.

The truth is this. The professional dancers, who are responsible for teaching their amateur partners a routine, do not wish to be seen as amateurish themselves, and therefore are quite strict in their training. I believe they have just one week to learn the routine. They want their partners to look good, otherwise their own reputations might suffer. This isn't an excuse to punch or kick, but their partners who are being very well paid, need to pay attention and perform as well as possible.

Life on the ballroom floor isn't like the Lower IVth form playground. There is no room for "Sir, Sir, that boy just pulled my hair", you have to pick yourself up, get back into position, and do your very best. That 90 second example of how well you have learned, is soon over. No time for moaning about how hard the training's been. When my Rugby coach got a tad 'physical' during training, I never went off the field blubbing and complaining; so nor should they!

I have no idea if the show will survive all the controversy, which seems to be growing by the minute, but I hope it does. It's simply a bit of Saturday night light entertainment, and, frankly, I don't think that anyone who watches it gives a hoot if some minor celeb has been shouted at. We're there only for that final 90 seconds of 'dancing'; not to listen to a bunch of Moaning Minnies.


28 comments:

  1. I am sick of "Celebrity This..." and "Celebrity That...". "Strictly" ought to dump the celebrities and give ordinary Britons a go as dance partners. You could even have "specials" such as "Prisoners' Special", NHS workers, pensioners and funniest of all - "Artists Special"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be putting my name forward; two left feet! But I like your idea. Maybe you should write to Mr Strictly and suggest it. Don't forget that they turned down my idea of 'Celebrity Bomb Disposal'.

      Delete
    2. I would certainly recommend Boris Johnson for that show.

      Delete
    3. He'd be good company for Jeremy Corbyn.

      Delete
  2. They are behaving like football players,

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dancing style would echo that of Ms Widdecombe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the celebs I saw did no 'dancing' at all, they just waved their arms around whilst the pro' did all the work. I could just about do that.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed the '90 seconds' but couldn't stand the journey/sob story/ family /etc/ etc. I haven't watched it for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All these reality shows that return to our screens every year, eventually come to an end. I have a feeling that Strictly's time is almost up.

      Delete
  5. Here too they bought the format and it is broadcast three times a week. The problem here is that sometimes you don't see the dancers because the orange stripes of the places where there are alarms at that moment cover a large part of the screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awful. And 3 times a week sounds like overload!

      Delete
  6. My son was only having a good moan about all the 'entitlement', whinging and complaining done 'by the younger generation' and minor celebrities the other day. He's the grand old age of 37, so if he's getting annoyed by it I think we have every right to be too. :-)

    YP's idea of ordinary people taking part is a really good one ... unless of course they then become Z list celebrities too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would for ever after be known as a 'TV Star'. I blame the gutter press.

      Delete
  7. What I wonder is why have they all come out of the woodwork now. Why didn't they say something immediately it happened? Could it have anything to do with the money I wonder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be a question of 'Any publicity is good publicity'. Welcome Weaver!

      Delete
  8. What cry babies. If you don't like something, walk away. I've seen the show maybe once and completely forgot it even existed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is all rather pathetic. I'm now wondering if the 'amateurs' in the foreign shows will all start complaining too.

      Delete
  9. Not a programme I've ever watched, though many of my friends would wax lyrical about it. Some would plan their social life around Saturday evenings to make sure they were home to see it. Five minutes, to see what all the fuss was about, was enough for me!
    Professional dancers train hard for many years, so one week for a complete amateur to learn a 90 seconds dance routine is not going to come without some hardship!
    I suspect that those who have complained just want to make sure their "celebrity" names are still in the public eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're right. And having their names in the papers day after day certainly does them no disfavours.

      Delete
  10. I watch it but fast forward through a lot and just watch the dances and results. I felt much the same as the comments here until I heard the professional in question say that he had made a mistake and had kicked her. Really! That does seem out of order by any standards and shocked me a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, but I doubt if it was as bad as it sounds. He probably booted her bum!!! But if they have behaved 'violently' they should be sacked at once.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I don't blame you, it's lost its appeal; whatever it had.

      Delete
  12. Nowadays, whining is the celebrity sport du jour.
    A certain amount of drill sergeant behavior is inherent in training. The contestants can speak up, kick back, and such. Waiting to complain until it is over is pretty shabby behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like all of these reality/celebrity shows, it has had it's day .... it's been going for far too long and looks so old fashioned now. Can't anyone make any decent shows anymore ...... Saturday night terrestrial tv is abysmal .... thank goodness for streaming.XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These days it's like a circle of shows that you know will come back year after year, The Jungle programme, Britain's got talent, Strictly, Love Island (never seen it), and several more.

      Bring back 'The Wednesday Play'.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...