Wednesday 3 July 2024

A sorry sight.


It was with huge regret on our part that our newly renovated tobacco drying barn has been sold.

I had spilt blood sweat and tears working on the interior, and, without wishing to sound pompous, I did a bloody good job of it. It became a lovely eco family home, that almost anyone would have been happy to live in. It just happened that my youngest son, who owned it, had just built a fabulous home in Thailand, where he's now living (he's now building a second), and he didn't need another one in France.

It also had lots of land, a well-stocked orchard, plenty of room for a pool, veg patch, etc, and a magnificent huge ancient Oak tree. There was also plenty of extra space for a Granny Flat.


Anyway, it was sold, and the new owner doesn't seem to be interested in country life. The grass everywhere is a metre high, and not a single plant has been touched or pruned since he moved-in. 

Having tended the garden myself for several years, it is now a total mess. It won't be easy to return it to how it looked above. I can imagine the whole place becoming totally overgrown in no time (actually, it already is). He didn't even pick his wonderful Cherries; what a shame.

I really don't know, but I imagine the new owner is a townie, and has no understanding about living out in the countryside. I even wonder if he'll stay there for very long; it doesn't seem to suit him. I believe he is a single music teacher; but I have no confirmation. What he is doing, in such a big house, way out in the Styx by himself, I have no idea. Usually people who move to the country are desperate to embrace the whole lifestyle; but not this man. 


Above is how it is today. I haven't yet met the new owner, nor, it seems, have any of my other neighbours, so I'm not about to cast judgement. We've only been back a few weeks and so far he hasn't made much of an impression, other than throwing stones, and shouting at Billy. I've had to cut back the excessive growth from his side of our part-mutual entrance driveway, so I can get the car in without scratching its sides, but I shall do no more. It's HIS garden now, and he can look after it himself. 

I've said it before, but I think townies should stay in towns, and leave us country bumkins alone. 

23 comments:

  1. Maybe he likes meadows, a form of rewilding. And some "townies" as you call them also seek the countryside's solitude. Maybe he aspires to become a hermit. Or, if he is into music, he can play his drums in the middle of the night which I dare say wouldn't be possible in a town, etc etc etc. I can think of many scenarios.

    The bit I don't understand that neither of you has made contact with the other yet considering that you are neighbours. So, why not knock at his door, introduce yourself, welcome him to the neighbourhood, make some small talk, ask him if he is happy there, not least mention that you know the place well because ... You might yet bond. Of course, considering his behaviour towards Billie, he might not exactly welcome your advances but it might soften the edges. Good luck - and whatever you do, don't mention the garden.

    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife did say hello to him. and invited him down to the house, but I'm afraid he's not the gregarious type, and prefers to scowl at people and let his garden become overgrown. Throwing stones at Billy didn't help!

      Delete
    2. Aaaaaaaand, there she is, spouting her usual load of venom!

      Delete
    3. You can always count on Ursula.

      Delete
  2. For once I agree with Ursula, haha! He obviously wants to be left alone to do his own thing and have a wild garden and possibly make music without disturbing anyone. What's Billy doing to make him shout and throw stones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billy still thinks of the house as ours and went up the drive. He's wiser now. I really have no problem with the garden being overgrown, it's just that I spent so much time and effort making it look so nice! It's sad to see the neglect.

      Delete
    2. He sounds awful! Throwing stones at an animal is unforgivable. Hopefully, he'll move soon.

      Delete
  3. Post Covid, a lot of city and townie folk have migrated to the country in France.... where the expectation of Covid risk is low.... we have many here who have moved from Paris and Tours.
    However, they have brought their city ways of impatience and impoliteness.... they haven't slowed down their pace of life and regard themselves as superior to the local yokels!!!
    Garrrumphh!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recognise all those traits. They simply cannot change their city ways. In a tiny hamlet community like ours, it makes a huge difference.

      Delete
  4. Country bumpkins don't even know how to spell "bumpkin". It is a mystery why that man wanted the house but I guess he sought peace and quiet away from nosy neighbours and perhaps a place to play his music without causing annoyance to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be thinking of those 'bumpkins' that bump into things all the time. I'm talking about those 'bumkins' who sit on their bums all day long. Very different.

      Delete
    2. Whenever you see "bumkin" it is always a mis-spelling of "bumpkin". Perhaps you were staring out of the window when they covered this at The King's School, Ely.

      Delete
    3. I don't think the word 'Bumkin', or even 'Bumpkin', was ever mentioned in such hallowed ground.

      Delete
  5. I thought he must be an absentee landlord but if he was throwing stones at Billy he is very much present. He obviously has plenty of money and could pay someone to do the work.
    Such a pity . You should have crept in at night and taken those cherries. Scrumping I believe you said?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he even knew the Cherries were there, they're not easy to get to now. Future scrumping is always an option.

      Delete
  6. Put up a 12 foot fence around the property border. You won't have to see the mess then 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we could. Sadly it's right behind our house and we see it every day.

      Delete
  7. What a shame, the garden looks a shambles and it takes little effort to be nice and neighborly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a mess. I cannot understand why anyone would like to live like that; especially knowing how it was.

      Delete
  8. This guy is seeking isolation and space. I'd keep my distance and have no expectations of him. Ideally, he'll get tired of the property and sell. You "might" get a better neighbor. That said, it is a pity that your son has no desire to live in Europe and much prefers Thai life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ideally we would have liked a 'friendly' family to live there, but we had no say in the matter. It was lovely when my son was there with Boo Boo and The Cherub. They came down to see us every day, played games, had lunch, etc. Life seemed perfect. Then this.......

      Delete
  9. Whenever we drive past our old place in Wales my husband is mortified at the amount of overgrowth and neglect. We worked so hard on it and it thrived, hopefully the new owners are happy ... but my hubby isn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sold my parent's old house on the Wales/Shropshire border to an idiot who immediately ripped-out its ancient orchard. Very rare varieties of Apples, and Pears, were lost. I was furious!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...