Tuesday 2 October 2018

Car business.


Yesterday the Compact Royce went to receive two new front tyres. I had stupidly accepted an appointment for 8 am; it was hardly light, and it was almost too cold for shorts.


Anyway, the two new tyres were eventually positioned (€106.66). The process took about 15 mins, which gave me enough spare time afterwards to shop for a few essentials before her next important appointment.

This was with M Bressou at 9.30 am, for the car to have her biannual road-worthiness (ahem) test; luckily the wretched tyre kicking ceremony was completed before I'd even finished reading my magazine.


My lovely mechanic, M Bressou (Very large black beret, big Gallic moustache), made quite a fuss over choosing a copy of Paris Match for me (from within the huge pile above) to read whilst I was waiting. It contained, he told me, an interesting article about Mrs Meghan Sussex. I suppose it kept me amused for a while.

The old gal passed her test, and M Bressou was awarded €70. She's now good for the next two years.

p.s. I should mention that after my two new front tyres were fitted, and whilst she was still up in the air, the pleasant tyre fitter checked and adjusted the air pressures in both back tyres, and the spare (which was at near zero). Gratis. I've never known them do that before. What service; he received a well-deserved  pourboire

It's the little things that count.



23 comments:

  1. Good morning Cro, I also changed two front tires this week, here the price is double.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say, I did find mine quite reasonable. Next time you need them changing, I suggest you drive over to France.

      Delete
  2. Still wearing shorts? I just checked your weather forecast and feel a bit disgruntled now. I expect you've got flies though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right. The flies are a bloody nuisance; we never know if we should leave all the doors open to let them out, or close them to stop them entering.

      Delete
  3. Just about time for our fitness test too but first we need a new battery to get there and a new battery for the boat. Money money money

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was extremely happy to have the whole lot done for under €180. Even the slightest infringement seems to cost a fortune to fix.

      Delete
  4. Today we went and booked ours in for next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck. I'm always quite anxious when mine needs to go.

      Delete
  5. Thank goodness for Google translate! Tipping in NZ used to be unheard of but us xpats can't help ourselves if the service is good.

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to tip, but in this case he didn't have any change, and it made me sound generous! Win/win.

      Delete
  6. Would you have tipped him if he failed the car? Sadly the scope for this potential corruption has gone here. The MOT laws get tighter and tighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daughter in law has just got back from the Bordeaux area, and she says that they have knocked 10 KPH off every maximum speed limit throughout France, saving thousands of lives a year.

      Delete
    2. It was the tyre man that I tipped. If I tried to bribe M Bressou, he take the bribe and fail me anyway.

      Delete
  7. This is the first time that I’ve had a car new enough not to have to have an MOT for a couple of years !!! It’s always a worry while you are sitting waiting to hear if it has passed. Another job done ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelin tyres, I hope. My goodness, do they last a long time. I remember that they are made in many different countries though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelin would have been €106.66 just for one. No these were much cheaper. I don't do much mileage, so they are fine. I change them every two years, whether they need it or not.

      Delete
  9. My Kia went in for a MOT last week, £49 pounds it cost and they cleaned it! But then most people buy Kia's round here because there is a stockist in our town and they run a very good garage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did passing its test depend on it being clean? I washed mine before taking it in; I always do!

      Delete
  10. 106.66 ?? Was that for both tyres?
    I have just had to have a new front tyre as I went over a nasty pothole and chipped a bit out of my front tyre. one tyre cost me one hundres and ten pounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was for the two, including all the taxes etc. The two actual tyres cost €66.38

      Delete
  11. Good service is so appreciated.

    When I take my old car in for service, I hold my breath waiting for the bad news to my car and wallet. So far, so good. My Subaru and me, till death do we part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all feel like that. Mostly for the wallet for me!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...