Wednesday 13 May 2020

A change of Season.



Normally, at this time of year, I'm never without a penknife and small plastic bag in my pocket, but yesterday I was amiss. 

I had to put a clean square of kitchen towel inside my beret in order to bring my mushrooms home.

It's the start of our Girolle season. Not a lot yesterday, but it's a start. If we have warm weather for a while (which I'm assured we will) there should be mushrooms in the woods for quite some while.


I picked enough for an omelet for two. I shall return tomorrow to pick more. Lovely.

10 comments:

  1. Lucky you carry kitchen towel just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use them as hankies. Luckily I had a clean one in my pocket!

      Delete
  2. The best from mother nature. A breakfast of champions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just back from the woods... nothing today, only a few tiny ones.

      Delete
  3. Oh no, mushroom envy attac! We have false morrels (deadly without proper preparation, and illegal in some countries). Chanterelles won't be here until two-three month...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall go again this morning. Yesterday nothing; today maybe!

      Delete
  4. I made a mushroom dish for My Retired Man last night. He liked it so well that he added mushrooms to the grocery list that we will pick up on Saturday. Not the same kind of pick up as yours (in your woods), but it will do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are delicious and FREE, what could be better.

      Delete
  5. Sadly I have only ever gathered buttons here; I would love to be a forager but would need to be taught what to look for otherwise I would probably poison myself. It's a nice idea. Not many people put themselves forward as teachers here.

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You only need to learn to identify one or two good varieties, then leave the others well alone.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...