Monday 13 March 2023

Alphonse's origins.

 

Alphonse sits right in front of me, leaning against the wall behind my laptop. I often find myself looking at him, and thinking of his origins.

The annual Red Cross Ball, which is held in some swanky Park Lane hotel, has been taking place for decades. As far as I know my mother only went once which was when she found/bought Alphonse.

These events are mostly for fund-raising, and the guests are chosen from amongst the rich and famous; who have plenty of 'funds' available. How, or why, my parents ended-up attending one I have no idea. My mother was a Red Cross Nurse during the war, but I have no idea if there was any connection, I somehow presume there must have been. My people were 'comfortable', but they certainly weren't amongst the glitzy rich.

Money is raised for the Red Cross from the sale of tickets and an auction of donated items. Alphonse was amongst the auction lots when my mother was there. She made a bid, and was successful.

All I know about him is that he is supposedly dressed as a British Prisoner of War under the Japanese, with a straw hat and straw shoes. I imagine money was being raised to send-out food parcels to our men there.

Alphonse must have been purchased in about 1943 or 4. I was born in 1946 and he was given to me. This makes Alphonse almost 80 years old. The Poppy was my own addition.

I do hope someone looks after him when I'm gone.


22 comments:

  1. Perhaps write his history on something and keep it with him, so that whoever gets to look after him will know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's something I've intended to do for ages.

      Delete
  2. You can always decree in your last will and testament for Alphonse to be buried with you. I dare say you will decay more quickly than him but at least you'll be together; shreds, dust and all - to eternity and beyond.

    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope someone will offer to look after him before I'm obliged to take that action. But who knows!

      Delete
  3. I hope one of your children do appreciate Alphonse and let him live on. He's an heirloom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly is an heirloom. The original 'Action Man'.

      Delete
  4. Have any of your children expressed an interest in becoming his guardian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as yet. I think I shall have to take him downstairs so that they can see him more often, and hear his story. Maybe then.....

      Delete
  5. The name Alphonse means noble and ready for battle... just like his daddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny, I wonder of that's why it was chosen. I have no idea who named him.

      Delete
  6. It seems strange that a doll would be dressed as an enemy soldier even though his facial features are western. I wonder what the thought was behind his design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's dressed as an English soldier prisoner of war, in Japan. That's what I was told.

      Delete
  7. The Red Cross (RC) organization is well worth supporting. Your mother chose well. Their work is important worldwide. Alphonse has a great connection to the RC and your mother's generosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother was a wartime Red Cross Nurse who worked in a nearby village where pregnant women from London were sent to give birth in safety. My mother was the only Nurse to deliver a baby outdoors on the street to a mother who didn't quite make it back to the Maternity Hospital. The baby was a boy, and his mother told my mother that had it been a girl she would have named it after her.

      Delete
  8. My first husband was a Prisoner of the Japanese - he would have been interested in Alphonse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether or not they wore straw hats and shoes, I have no idea; I expect someone imagined it.

      Delete
  9. I also hope Alphonse is looked after by someone who cares. Perhaps you could donate him back to the Red Cross, they may have a "museum" of sorts where old artifacts are kept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a very good idea, I shall make enquiries!

      Delete
  10. I like River's idea very much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. https://www.redcross.org.uk/about-us/our-history/museum-and-archives

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...