Sunday 24 February 2019

Cro meets Stravinsky (re-posted from April 2012).


I was privileged to attend a school where the study of music was taken extremely seriously. In about my second year I was introduced to the works of Schoenberg and Stravinsky, and since those days, their work has remained amongst my favourites (although I must admit, I haven't listened to either for quite some while).

In 1966 I was managing an art gallery in London's Devonshire Street, when I received a phone call from my distinguished friend Dr Camille Honig saying 'Don't leave the gallery on any account; I'll be round in about an hour'. I was intrigued.... Dr Honig was the Secretary of The International Martin Buber Society

Knowing Camille well, I imagined he was about to turn-up with some gorgeous model, well known actress, or famous pop star. So, you can imagine my surprise when an hour or so later he walked through the door with Igor Stravinsky.

I was shocked. Camille introduced me, and I genuflected, bowed, and shook his hand (that same hand that wrote The Rite of Spring); I then spent about 10 minutes in his company. I remember very little of our conversation, other than about halfway through he changed from speaking English to French; and the fact that I was able to continue without any fuss seemed to impress him..... Thank goodness he didn't break out into Russian!

Stravinsky had been in London to attend the premier of one of his works (I think at The Albert Hall), and was also, at the time, the Honorary President of The International Martin Buber Society (hence his connection with Camille).


My boss at the gallery, Miklos Vilag, had been away for most of the day, and was FURIOUS that he'd not been present to meet with Stravinsky. He later took his anger out on poor Camille by banning him from the gallery (on some silly trumped-up charge of having stolen a bottle of gin).

Camille later dedicated the above flyer to me, using the words 'with un-homosexual love'. I somehow think he wished it was otherwise, but as my Italian girlfriend at the time was one of natures' most exquisite creations; I think he understood.

I am eternally grateful to my dear old friend, Camille. He was kind enough to engineer one of the most memorable days of my life! I continue to thank him.


23 comments:

  1. I wasn't reading your blog in 2012 but for some reason I have read this post about one of your 'many' brushes with fame. The dedication is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a day I'll never forget, maybe I've re-posted this before?

      Delete
  2. One of those happenings that touches us and leaves an indelible mark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have certainly had an interesting life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mid 60's central London was an amazing place to be. Anything could happen, and often did.

      Delete
    2. Where you worked in Knightsbridge was filled with celebs!

      Delete
  4. So different from your life today from which you enjoy no less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. London in the mid-60's was an extraordinary place to live. So much happened, and as long as one lived in the right area, one met all sorts of interesting people. As you say; very different to my life today!

      Delete
  5. Amazing places often only seem amazing looking back on them after the event - seems this event's effect was instantaneous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! And you held your own. I'm very impressed. Whenever I've met famous people (not often) I have afterwards analysed every word I said and cringed. Even if the meeting went smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also met Paul McCartney at the gallery, which was nice. His girlfriend (at the time) lived just around the corner in Harley St.

      Delete
  7. The post takes me back to good times too. I don't know whether to thank you or not because it brought tears to my eyes, very unusual for me. Stravinsky was around for a long time. He must have written Rite of Spring some 50 years before your meeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could remember what we talked about, but I'm sure I must have mentioned studying The Rite of Spring at school.

      Delete
  8. Yes. It's odd how moments like that stay with us for ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were others too. I lived in London at a very good time.

      Delete
  9. Amazing .... I worked in Mayfair in the late 60’s/early 70’s and it was indeed a wonderful place ..... David Niven used to doff his hat at me every morning when he was out for his early morning walk & an Earl of repute was having an affair with the woman in the flat upstairs where I worked and I would get a nod from him as he was leaving in the morning !!!! .... and that’s just a couple of instances !!! Like you, I met quite a few famous people but, they were just people at the end of the day and wanted to be treated as such. I wasn’t really fazed by any of them were you ? Some were nicer than others... some were a bit diva ish !! Stravinsky is a bit of a biggy though 🤣 XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once met Rudolf Nureyev very briefly; he was EXTREMELY diva-ish, complete with fur coat and fur trimmed leather boots. I'm sure you can picture the scene.

      Delete
    2. I absolutely can because, the memory I have of the Earl sneaking out of lovers apartment was him in a long fur coat and, I remember photographs of Nureyev in his fur coat !!! ‘‘Twas the fashion of the times !!! XXXX

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. And so unexpected, which made it all the better.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...