Tuesday 14 November 2017

Rat's Teeth.



These are pretty much the last of the year's mushrooms. 

Known in the UK as Hedgehog Mushrooms, in these parts they translate as Rat's Teeth, Deer's Feet, or Sheep's Feet. Personally I prefer 'Rat's Teeth' as it describes perfectly the underside of the mushroom.

In past times (40 years ago) I would take a large wooden crate into the woods, which would be filled within an hour or so. I would often return several times during the day. The resulting haul would be sold to merchants who went from farm to farm. I was told at the time that the mushrooms were used in the pharmaceutical industry; but I suspect most went to be eaten. Today's forager would find such quantities almost impossible to collect; the few above took me over an hour to find.

Rat's Teeth are very delicate creatures. They are mostly 'brushed' clean, but they often require rinsing under water. They also break very easily. When cooking, the water used for cleaning floods out, and has to be boiled away before they actually begin to fry. 

So, to the most important thing; what do they taste like?

When eaten alone, they have a delicate mushroom flavour, but when cooked with chicken or lamb they take on the flavour of the meat. Mixed with chicken, not only is the colour much the same, but the quantity of the meat appears to multiply; as if my magic. 

An easy mushroom to identify; those underneath teeth are a give-away. Look in November amongst mixed Pine/Chestnut trees.

23 comments:

  1. They look strange. I don't think we have them here and wouldn't not have eaten them without checking what the were, not that I eat mushrooms anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that most people would just kick them. They're actually very good, but a bit fiddly to prepare.

      Delete
  2. You have picked a lovely place to live. Plus all the foraging you can do is wonderful.
    Daughter moved up north and lives next to the Canadian Border. Her friends have lived there all their lives. They have taken her mushroom and all different kinds of berry picking. She is so happy and loves it.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free food is always welcome in this house, and luckily we have plenty around. Foraging is fun.

      Delete
  3. Never heard of them. But yesterday I saw a couple of "lions teeth" as they call them here.

    Dandelions are free food too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very bitter. In the past I used to cover the plants with a plate, so that they became blanched and less bitter.

      Delete
    2. I used to drink gallons of Dandelion and Burdock when I was a little kid because I thought it tasted like beer.

      Delete
    3. I've never tasted it; it always sounds mythical to me!

      Delete
  4. I rarely see any fungi here. Foraging is mostly other people's olives a few wild figs and field greens.
    You do live in a truly magical place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mushrooms need damp, warmth, and the right type of trees. Your climate is too good for most mushrooms.

      Delete
  5. I hope they taste better than they look is all I can say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're good, but not spectacular. If you like mushrooms, you'd like these.

      Delete
  6. I don't think I've seen those before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You leave the area too early. Now is the season.

      Delete
  7. Those mushrooms are very good. The last TWO I found took me an hour to discover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never picked or eaten wild mushrooms. I'm afraid I'm missing out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all depends what grows in your area; you could well be missing something delicious.

      Delete
  9. I have just eaten fried chestnut mishrooms (in butter) for my tea Cro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back Weave. I've never eaten Chestnut Mushrooms, I've seen them in the shops but have never needed any when I've seen them. I must make a point.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...