Saturday 30 March 2024

Why does Rap and Hip Hop prompt so many murders?


Someone called Diddy or Puffy has been in the news recently. The Cops entered his homes in Los Angeles and Miami to search for evidence of unsavoury practices. Diddy or Puffy was out when they called, so I believe they arrested his sons instead.

Diddy or Puffy has since been warned by someone called Suge Knight (from inside prison) that his life is in danger. Quite possibly the inevitable will happen.

This encouraged me to see how many Rap/Hip Hop 'artists' have lost their lives in recent times. Almost every time I open my paper another has been shot or stabbed. Some of them are illustrated above. It seems almost part of rap culture.

I looked at the Wiki page entitled 'List of murdered hip hop musicians'. There were so many (none of whom was known to me) that I decided to ignore it. If the subject interests you, do have a look; it's a long list, and rather baffling.

So why do they kill each other? UK bands don't go around murdering members of other bands, so why should these mostly US Afro/Caribbean performers have such hatred for each other. Does it involve something other than 'singing'? 

I am truly baffled!

16 comments:

  1. "So why do they kill each other?"
    IMO, it is because the whole culture surrounding most (c)rap music is anger... and quite often that anger boils over!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do all seem very angry, goodness knows why; they seem to earn a fortune from their 'recordings'.

      Delete
  2. I have no interest in that kind of music but I am aware that many of the lyrics should not have slipped past censorship - with their misogynistic, homophobic, threatening language and references to drugs, guns and sexual acts. As with the chicken and the egg question, it's hard to say what came first - rapping hip-hop culture or the angry vendettas that have so often ended with pointless deaths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But what are the vendettas all about? I'm sure they don't kill each other just for the fun of it.

      Delete
    2. I would guess at petty disagreements, perceived disloyalty etc. like children in a playground - "He said/she said". Money and drugs will be a part of it too.

      Delete
    3. Of course in the US they are very keen on 'dissing' each other, which causes ill feeling. Luckily 'dissing' isn't part of our vocabulary over here.

      Delete
    4. If you come from the villages outside Diss in Norfolk, "Dissing" is a thing. It means you're heading to Diss for a booze up.

      Delete
    5. Are you sure it's not 'Norfolk' for dogging?

      Delete
    6. Dissing is going into Diss for a drink... I used to live there....
      The Winfarthing Wifeswappers is as close as you'll get to dogging in those parts!!

      Delete
  3. Haven't a clue. I read about Diddy but only because he popped up in a photograph with Harry. I don't particularly want to know more about either of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor do I, but I was amazed to read that Diddy owes so much money. Why on earth would the banks lend him so much to spend on those HUGE houses.

      Delete
  4. The lyrics are very angry and violent, for what that contributes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We haven’t a clue cro, we come from a middle class white privilege demographic
    We haven’t a clue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you're right; far too privileged to understand. What devils we are.

      Delete
  6. Gangs, drugs and gaming the system? In society this exists across all lines. Maybe a bit higher incidence in some circumstances. I do not have the numbers. Do you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't, but the figures in the rap world are staggering. WHY?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...