Thursday 12 October 2023

Biographies.


I'm currently reading Lucy Worsley's biography of Agatha Christie. I believe it's No 1 in the Sunday Times best seller list. A well deserved spot.

I also recently read Antonia Fraser's 1972 biography 'The Life and Times of Queen Anne'. 

I mention these two books specifically as they contain so much detail. I also remember previously mentioning my friend John Masouri's biography of 'Bob Marley's Wailers' for the same reason.

I am often amazed by the amount of minute detail in biographies. Often the more ancient the subject, the more detailed are the descriptions. It's as if the older an event, the clearer the details. How can this be the case?

In Fraser's book, she quotes dialogue almost as if she was there. With Worsley, at least Agatha Christie, who died in 1976, had lived within living memory and there are still people around to consult. Even so, some of her details must surely be speculation.

At the back of Worsley's book are 57 pages of Sources, Acknowledgements, Notes, plus the Index. A lot of research has obviously gone into her subject.

So, how much of a biography is allowed to be supposition? Do the editors check every single 'fact'? Personally I don't really care, as I'm more interested in a good read than 100% accuracy, but it would be interesting to know!

 

20 comments:

  1. Coincidetally I watched a documentary about Agatha Christie on Netflix last night. A fascinating woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tend to imagine her sitting at a desk, simply writing detective novels, but there's so much more to her. I found Worsley's book a revelation.

      Delete
  2. Agatha Christie is a perennial favourite. Strange how one particular authoress has remained so popular - thanks these days to the Poirot and Miss Marple books, currently being shown on TV.
    I enjoy Lucy Worsley's TV programmes, so will look out for the book on Amazon for my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to read the Marple books in French. They were written (or translated) in such a way that made them easy to read.

      Delete
  3. I saw Worsley the other night talking about Christie, fascinating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good read. Maybe a little over-detailed in places, but it gives a fascinating insight into AC's life.

      Delete
  4. If the book is anything like her TV programmes then it should be quite enjoyable. I love her enthusiasm for her subject matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's well researched, I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. A few years ago while boating on The River Dart with my friend Mike, we passed Agatha Christie's house in the woods above the river. A good place to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has several really lovely homes. She had a good life.

      Delete
  6. I've just reserved the book with our state library but am afraid it will be several weeks before it becomes available to me. It appears many others also want to read it and I'm quite far down the waiting list. So I'll take Rachel's suggestion and cue up the documentary on Netflix tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do both; watch the documentary, and read the book.

      Delete
  7. AC is a fascinating and successful woman. The read sounds excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a completely comprehensive account of her life.

      Delete
  8. I am a fan of Agatha Christie. All I can recall of her life, though, is her disappearance which, when I last read about it years ago, no on ehad an explanation for. Would I find out if I read the new book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is revealed. It's strange that the one thing that interests us the most (after her writing) is that short period of disappearance. I shall not divulge the secrets.

      Delete
  9. The amount of unnecessary detail is why I don't read biographies. and also why I don't read "literature", I'll take a pop-fiction story every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And is all that 'unnecessary detail' 100% correct? I suspect not.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...