Tuesday 22 August 2023

SOLD!


Some might wonder why I've had to erect a new home for Rory, well here is the answer.

It started off as an old disused Tobacco drying barn, then more recently was used for rearing Geese; up to around the year 2000. It really didn't have a lot going for it. Everything had to be replaced from roof to floor, from the exterior boarding to the interior walls. There was no water or electricity; we had to start from scratch. Only the skeleton was retained.

My planning application went through quite easily, and my design was accepted without any annoying recommendations. It was just a matter of getting down to work. This was back in 2010.


Once the whole roof had been replaced, and a concrete screed laid on the ground floor, I built, plastered, and insulated all the interior walls. I took my time and did what I think was a pretty good job. The usable space was huge and everything came together beautifully.


The lower cross beams were all replaced with good strong timbers, and the upstairs floor laid. A chippy was brought-in to build the staircase, and it soon began to look like a real home.

The kitchen was fitted and a very comprehensive 'eco' heating system installed. Solar panels were fitted to the roof and a wood-fired cooker complimented the system for Winter. With the 'rather excessive' insulation I'd installed behind all the interior walls, the house wasn't difficult to keep warm. The radiators were hardly ever used. Floor tiles were laid downstairs, and eventually all the exterior cladding was removed and replaced, and it looked fabulous.

Once furnished and decorated the house really was lovely. I would happily have lived there myself. There was plenty of land, an orchard, room for a veg' patch, and there was even a Chicken coop. In fact I would say that the house provided just about everything that one could ever have needed (other than a pool), and all in perfectly tranquil countryside. There was even a large area of 'barn' for storage.


So, it's rather sad to see it go, but it has now been sold. Our youngest (to whom we had given the original old Sechoir) has decided that it's not for him. He has just built a fabulous Villa on an island off Thailand, and I can see the appeal over rural France; even though he was born here.

We were going to give him our cottage as well, so that he could have had a holiday rental income for life, but that would now be pointless so we'll probably sell this too in a few years time. We're getting old, and someone else can enjoy it. We'll spend the money on ourselves instead.

One never knows what's around the corner, and one must expect any eventualities. I shall have a lot less mowing and gardening to do in future, but I shall miss knowing that the barn is 'ours'. All that work I did will now belong to someone else, and all I can hope is that the new owner enjoys it as much as we did. I hope he's an experienced gardener too!

I often wonder if I was to start the project again from scratch, would I do anything differently. I don't think I would; I wanted to add a long open 3 section barn/auvent/garage coming at right-angles from the far left hand side, but we never got around to it.

Mostly I'm sorry that Boo Boo and The Cherub will never stay there again. It was so nice having them come down every morning to see 'Grumsy'. She cooked for them, baked with them, and played endless games with them! Ah well.....
 

20 comments:

  1. Good that it has sold prior to you returning to U.K. so you can get everything organized. Even though it doesn't have a pool the neighbours have one which I am sure they would share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The completion date is for the end of November (I think). Not too sure about the neighbours sharing their pool.

      Delete
  2. You did a fabulous job, it looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete

  3. What a splendid achievement, sad that it must go. But downsizing leaves a more relaxed lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have a lot less to do next year, which is good.

      Delete
  4. Well, I am disappointed that you didn't give me first refusal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people are saying the same thing.

      Delete
  5. That was an amazing achievement in anyone's books. Perhaps your parents felt the same when you moved to France although it's not quite as remote from them as Thailand is from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 'barn' looks amazing. But you do need a different plan as you get older.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Artists are not meant to be practical blokes - capable of transforming an old barn into a beautiful new home. They are meant to wear cravats and smocks and go mincing around with their palettes calling everybody "darling". Converting that barn was a marvellous achievement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do call people 'Cherie' but only on Sundays. I can be practical when forced.

      Our 'tower' was my favourite achievement, doing the roof still amazes me to this day.

      Delete
  8. I remember following your work on this - the finished building looks superb. Such a shame that after all your labours the family haven't lived there. I hope your new neighbours are good people and it's not rented out on a fortnightly basis throughout the summer. What Nationality are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son and family did live there for a while, and loved it, but he's an exotic soul and moves around a lot.

      I believe it's a Frenchman who's bought it; a music teacher. We'll see.

      Delete
  9. Bitter sweet. It was an amazing achievement. Life has to change as we get older and it's great news that having decided to sell it, you have sold it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, nice to have it all done and dusted. We will leave for England knowing that it's finalised.

      Delete
  10. There is a certain grace involved in accepting changing circumstances. That being said, I am not a graceful person, it would seem.

    A regular joke here: "When we build our next house, we will do (whatever project we just completed) differently." And we laugh and laugh, because we are never going to build another house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your barn to luxury home conversion is a very impressive accomplishment. The new owner must be very happy with his purchase. Wanderlust drives some people and Thailand is very exotic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's lived all over the world. We had thought he'd settled in Australia, but he's still on the move.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...