Saturday 3 June 2023

The Gardener.


When we left for England last September, we did so in the knowledge that the gardener (lets call him D) would come with his half-size tractor and keep the grass cut up at the barn, to a height where I could then continue to mow with 'Rory' when we returned. After the disastrous previous year, my mind was at rest.

D was contracted to do the work, and a sum of €30 an hour was agreed. He would come as soon as the grass grew above about 10 cms, and on a couple more occasions until we arrived.


So, did he do the work? Of course not! I really don't know what's wrong with these people. They want the work, and as near to their own homes as possible, but when it comes to actually turning up they can't be bothered. Our good friend Craig did some mowing with the small push-mower so the important bits remained short enough for Rory to take over. I suppose the long bits will have to stay as they are, and I will continue to trim either side of the drive to make it look neat. The rest will become jungle.


In front of our own house the lawn is mowed and will soon look good again, but just beyond the field has yet to be cut for hay, so it does all look rather messy.

I've now mowed quite a lot up at the barn (below), but some of the grass is far too long and I shall leave it. I'm now relying on my system of 'green, fairway, and rough'. There's quite a bit of fairway, and a lot of rough; but very little green for the moment.


We have now found an English gardener who will come today (yesterday); not to do the long grass mowing, but to saw-up a fallen telegraph pole, cut some big Pine branches, and put the fallen telephone wires up in the trees, out of the way. The 'pole-people' said they would replace it several months ago, but, of course, they can't be arsed! Sadly the new gardener doesn't own a small tractor to do the long grass. Frankly I think he should buy one; the demand for mowing is huge.

At my advanced age I could really do without these bloody people who won't do what they're asked. I'm exhausted!

We opened the pool yesterday. It's a bit green, but clearing fast! 28C again yesterday.

19 comments:

  1. I hope you didn’t pay up front

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maintenance is the worry of a 'lock up and leave' property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have our friend Craig here, so that was a great help. However, it would have been nice if the gardener had done all he had promised.

      Delete
  3. I suppose it is the down side of living in two countries. The only comparison I have is with another lady I blog with who lives in Ilkley and Italy - her complaints are along the same lines as yours. But in your photographs it all looks glorious anyway. And sounds blissful - have a swim for me please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still probably two days away from our first swim; a lot of cleaning to do both in and out of the water.

      Delete
  4. What a damn nuisance. I think it's a Mediterranean thing. Tomorrow and tomorrow often becomes never

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think of the insects, small mammals and birds. It's the "rough" they need - not the fairway. Why do you want it short anyway? Just for appearance's sake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's more pleasant to look out over mown grass than snake infested pasture. I'm as fickle as the next man.

      Delete
    2. From Australia, my first thought is 'fire hazard'.

      Delete
  6. I rather like the combination of green, fairway and rough - it seems more in keeping with your rural landscape than neatly manicured suburban. Admittedly, I don't have to live with it, but it would be easier to maintain. In time I'm sure you'll have it exactly as you want it, and then leave it to go back to Blighty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have it exactly right. We come and do all the work to make it 'perfect', then go away again to let it run riot. We need that ideal gardener to ensure this doesn't happen.

      Delete
  7. Slowly, you will have everything just as you like it. The fruit trees look good and all the mowing you have done looks terrific as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should soon have Globe Artichokes, Strawberries, Cherries, and Raspberries. Other things come later. I have now planted my meagre crop of Courgettes and Broccoli.

      Delete
  8. I agree with local alien and one time too many would have me residing permanently in England where people do as they say they will. Mostly. When the pool is ready have a couple of swims for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the time is coming in advancing years for a rethink on keeping a property going in France whilst living in England.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...