Tuesday 10 June 2014

Shocked, Saddened, and Furious.


                           

I posted this picture of our village church door/arch some time ago, and other than a rather poor watercolour I did of it, it's the only record I have.

You cannot imagine my HORROR when I passed by the church yesterday (I was returning a lost dog) and saw that it had been changed.

I have no idea how old the door was, but let's say 'very'. I'm certain that it wasn't contemporary with the beautiful arch that surrounds it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is only the second to fill the position.

It was made of simple planks of Chestnut, with handmade nails and hand-forged furniture.

It was a beautiful door, without being pretentious.


For some unknown reason the door has now been replaced with this brand new PAINTED modern version. Gone are all the hand made nails and gnarled woodwork; in comes neat crisp stainless steel screws, and machine-sawn wood.

OK, it doesn't look too bad, but I do worry about the white paint which looks as if it could be an undercoat for something more sinister. 

I don't wish to sound like a lone 'arbiter of taste', but to me this is pointless wilful destruction of French National Heritage.

I wonder when they'll replace those nasty old stones with nice concrete blocks?

Maybe it's that I don't like change.


23 comments:

  1. Wtf were they thinking? That's a real shame. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. A committee no doubt made the decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm horrified. Who the hell allowed that? Wonder what they have done with the old door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it possible that the old door is being repaired? maybe this is just temporary, surely this isn't the replacement.
    Even a numbskull wouldn't be happy with that..
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Typical of the modern thinking "improvement"

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a shame….the old one looked good for another few centuries at least!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That stonework needs pointing too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it comes from the same thinking of I'll build a nice concrete box of a house and sell the empty unloved old properties to the crazy foreigners. Those chateux will have to go soon. Still I think that is why the French are so endearing Totally confident that they are the last word in style and taste and yet capable of 'doorgate' Jan B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do they have " listed" buildings in France?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not sure. Certainly old houses (for sale) are never classified as being 'listed'.

      Delete
  10. I would try to find out the whole story. I am sure that someone from the church knows what happened to the door. Perhaps the new one is temporary while the original is being fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no....it will be a tragedy if it is indeed gone forever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grrrrr. How sad to see the old one gone which looked lovely. Maybe it was rotten but it looked like Oak which ages well. Hopefully they will paint it a more suitable colour if it is permanent. Take care Cro. Marion

    ReplyDelete
  13. change for the sake of it

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tend to agree with 'staring over' that maybe it' just a temp while the original is being refinished or repaired. Here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's heart stopping ugly, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Things change very fast & not always to our own liking, I don't like it either.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The old door looks so beautiful with the stone and the benches along the side. The new door is hideous! Whatever were they thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good grief! Certainly not a 'sympathetic' upgrade is it? I wonder whether the old door has been repurposed. I hope it is safe somewhere and not just been ripped out for the sake of it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Could it be something as crazy as needing to satisfy an insurance company that this newer door locks more readily or is fireproofed?

    I prefer the old door as well, and wonder if you'll ever find out why the door was replaced.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...