Monday, 27 July 2026

Walnut Oil


I've shown this short video before, but I think it's worth showing again.

This a nearby farm with it's own ancient press for making Walnut oil. I drink a soup-spoon of oil every day, in the same way that the Greeks drink Olive oil. It is filled with health benefits, and I would recommend it to everyone.


This particular bottle (below) was bought from a really lovely old chap at our local Saturday Market who has a small press on his farm. I forgot to ask him where he came from, I know of one farm in our village where they have a press; maybe he's from there. 

The oil is unfiltered and delicious, and comes with a delightfully hand-written label. Before returning to the UK, I shall certainly buy a few more bottles for the coming Winter.


The oil is superb; the real McCoy.
 

22 comments:

Poppypatchwork said...

Sounds lovely for you, poison for me, I've a nut allergy.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

This blogpost was funded by the PWOI (Perigord Walnut Oil Industry).
"Drink Walnut Oil And Let Your Springs Uncoil".

Cro Magnon said...

Oh dear, what a shame. It's delicious.

Cro Magnon said...

Welcome back YP. I heard you were on your holls, with bucket and spade.

local alien said...

I've heard that walnut oil is delicious , and beneficial to our health. I'd love to try some. There are loads of walnut trees in Greece. I've never seen the oil though. It's probably been banned by olive growers

Cro Magnon said...

It's as good for you as Olive Oil. I love it drizzled of small new potatoes, with a tiny sprinkling of sea salt.

Traveller said...

Walnut oil is wonderful. Keep it cool as it goes rancid. Have you tried walnut vinegar?

Deejohn said...

I've never had Walnut oil before, but I do eat a few walnuts each day. They're often called the King of all nuts and they're good for the brain.
I suppose the oil must be just as beneficial.
Cro have you started work on your staircase bannister rail yet?

Marty said...

Funny - I’d never heard of drinking it.
I was actually going to pick some up this week since here a company bottles it (probably in some concentrated form) to hide scratches in furniture.

Kathe said...

I've never heard of that. Sounds delicious. We have pinon nuts here. They make coffee with it.

Cro Magnon said...

No. I do make my own Raspberry vinegar. I've not even heard of Walnut Vinegar.

Cro Magnon said...

Ha ha. No I haven't. I decided to install a number of metal 'handles' instead. So now, instead of a rail, one grabs the perfectly placed handles instead. It works very well.

Cro Magnon said...

Gosh. I wonder if it's 'edible'? It sounds probably NOT!

Cro Magnon said...

I presume pinon nuts are the same as pine nuts, we make pesto with them.

Travel said...

France has so many wonderful local products, the markets are wonderland.

Cro Magnon said...

They sure are. It's just that little extra sunshine (but not too much) that makes everything so good.

Meanqueen said...

I put walnuts, along with other nuts, into a blender and smash them to bits and eat it with a spoon. Would that be just as good, or should I blend for longer in the hope that it turns into oil.

Diaday said...

Hand written labels, hand written menus in the local language show the food is authentic and fresh and that it caters to locals. Your walnut oil sure looks delicious!

Cro Magnon said...

I imagine that with your method, you get the 'roughage' as well. Win/Win.

Cro Magnon said...

It is. And the fact that it came from little old peasant farmer, makes it even better. These people are dying-out fast.

Kathe said...

Yes. Only in the SW here in America. Unique buttery flavor.

Traveller said...

Look for it. it is one of the things we bring back from France.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...