Tuesday 7 May 2024

One man and his dog.


He's not the most affectionate dog, but he has his moments. He has an afternoon ritual of jumping on my stomach when I'm trying to watch the One-O-Clock news; growling and biting my hands. If you didn't know he was playing you'd think I was being mauled to death.

He hasn't put his arms on my shoulders from behind (as in photo) for several years; I used to like that.

Billy has several daily rituals. They begin with helping me with my socks and shoes before we go for our early morning walk. I always play along, and it has now become a very special time between the two of us. Next, and more annoyingly, he barks every time I leave the sitting room. He rushes to the door and becomes quite irate. Nothing we do will stop him.


He loves our guests, but he also hates them leaving. He barks and barks when people leave the house. I cannot imagine what's going on in that little head of his. Maybe he thinks he's being abandoned.

One of his best qualities is that he makes people smile. I think it's because he's a Border Collie, and people see him as amusing. You would hardly believe how many people stop to stroke him on a daily basis. He loves the attention. 

It was supposed to be our local church 'Dog Show' yesterday, but in the morning it rained so it was cancelled. However, the indoor cake stalls, bric-a-brac stalls, and plant stalls still took place, and attracted both humans and dogs. Lady M bought a few books whilst a local children's brass band entertained us.

Billy was very disappointed not to have taken part in The Egg and Spoon Race.

16 comments:

  1. Most pirates like to have a parrot on their shoulder - not a border collie! Clearly Billy sees you as the leader of the pack...
    I met him at the candy store
    He turned around and smiled at me
    You get the picture
    "Yes, we see"
    That's when I fell for the leader of the pack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favourite songs; I just love their tinny voices. I do hope he sees me as the boss, anything else and I'd be in the dog-house.

      Delete

  2. One of our dogs used to put her mouth around my dad's wrists whilst growling, but she definitely wasn't biting him in any way.
    She also hated visitors, or us, leaving the house, she'd let anyone in though, so although we could have all been murdered in our beds, the perpetrator would have been trapped in the house until caught!
    Oh, and thanks a bunch YP, now I have an earworm!
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billy growls (ferociously) to show affection. I think he went to the wrong school.

      Delete
  3. That Billy makes people laugh [in an affectionate way] is not surprising. There was one photo you posted a little while ago, the one where he looks at you, head slightly cocked quizzingly, looking vaguely baffled, which still makes me smile.

    Which reminds me, no doubt YP will cast some light on my question: I know the meaning of "in the dog house" but where does the expression come from? And what of "underdog"? To me it's peculiarly English, in the same way as their children being made to "sit on the naughty step". Come again? Well, I suppose, better than what Oliver Twist had to endure.

    Leaving the saintly Lassie aside, the few Collies I have met were borderline neurotic. Maybe because they are herding dogs they easily get cabin fever in a small family/city setting. Who knows.

    Billy, greetings, hope your life isn't "a dog life's" - where THAT expression came from.
    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Underdog comes from sawing pits, where the man on top was the upper dog, and the one below who got all the sawdust in his eyes was the underdog. In the dog house I imagine means sent to live outdoors.

      Delete
    2. The saying originates from the act of punishing a dog by making him leave the home, banishing him to the outdoors – to his doghouse.

      Delete
  4. Dogs love their daily rituals, Rick hates it if we change his routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do try to keep everything to his routine rather than mine.

      Delete
  5. Poor Billy. He missed out on his blue ribbons. I'm sure he would have won the egg and spoon race, and had the shiniest coat and the floppies ears

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so looking forward to it; next year perhaps.

      Delete
  6. I enjoy hearing of your local shindigs. Thank you so much for the pictures, they bring the story to life for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The church was PACKED. My picture doesn't really show the amount of people. I had to leave without seeing everything; I couldn't move.

      Delete
  7. Our dogs have their needs, quirks and even peccadilloes. They keep us on our toes. I remember the last church dog show and it was well attended. Dogs and owners alike seem to love the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in fact the weather had turned by the afternoon, and they could have held it. There's always next year!

      Delete
  8. The parallels between Billie and my Annie are overwhelming! It must be the DNA. Annie is a 'Texas Heeler' - a cross between Blue Heeler and Aussie Shepherd. The breeder told me, "Everybody gets to join their flock, but nobody gets to leave." Maybe that's your Billie, too. Wow! They're a group unto themselves for sure. Annie 'attacks' me when I'm putting on my socks - then leads me to my pants and points them out for me. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...