Wednesday 24 April 2024

The Veg' Patch.


I cannot tell you how much I miss Haddock's; my old vegetable garden. Especially at the moment which is the beginning of the growing season.

It not only grew all our vegetables, but it also had a huge Fig tree, an Apple tree, a Plum tree, a Cherry tree, a large patch of Globe Artichokes, Tayberries, red and black Currants, and various Vines. It was only a smallish area, but it produced all we needed.

A Veg' garden requires constant attention. Weeds must be tackled daily, watering must be regular, and a strict rotation scheme adhered to.

I didn't attempt to grow anything too exotic, just the basic vegetables that we used on a daily basis. Many of these would be stored and saw us through to the next year's crop. Any non-lasting vegs would be bottled or frozen.  


The satisfaction one receives from successfully growing one's own food is almost second to none. Good critical reviews from an exhibition is up there with the Tomatoes or Aubergines, but that basket-full of fresh, straight from the garden, fruit and vegetables, beats all.  

Something went awry with Haddock's about 6 years ago. My crops suddenly started to fail. My neighbour, slightly above Haddock's, had invited all his builder friends to dump 'hardcore' to build-up an area to make a parking space. I noticed very quickly that they were dumping a lot more than hardcore, and I think much of it must have seeped down, through the dividing wall, and into Haddock's; poisoning the soil. There was nothing I could do but abandon my growing. Maybe in years to come it will have healed itself. We'll see!

Last year I did manage to grow a few Courgettes, and I'll try again this year. I now have a Polytunnel, so maybe I'll put them in there.

Haddock's had always been the vegetable garden of our 300 year old cottage, and it's a shame to see it no longer used.

 

24 comments:

  1. I too do miss your Haddock's [oh does the name make me smile) - by proxy.

    As to poisoning soil, it's been brought to my attention that there are rather strict rules about burials. You can't just let yourself be dumped six foot in any old area, underneath a tree. Think about your decaying leftovers seeping into ground water. I now have horror visions of all those pets [cats, dogs, hamsters) people bury in their back gardens.

    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have three animals buried at Haddock's; two dogs and a cat. I can't believe they present any threat to health. I saw plenty of cans and containers seeping 'unknown liquids' towards Haddock's from next door. Nasty!

      Delete
  2. Could you perhaps start a new Haddocks in a different spot? You seem to have an awful lot of grass doing not a lot, so might be worth a try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try to plant my Tomatoes elsewhere, but not very successfully.

      Delete
  3. Soil exhaustion probably. If neighbour making hardcore parking site then it would be just that, dug out and hardcore. If more then it was only a dumping ground.
    It is easy to always find someone to blame. I remember the tomatoes failing and suggestions made at the time of soil exhaustion. Did you add fresh manure and top soil? Farmers rotate and add nutrients for good reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frankly I don't know what caused the problem, but seeing all that rubbish dumped just a few feet away can't have helped. The problems did start very suddenly.

      Delete
  4. In Judaism there is such a thing that after seven years they let the land rest, do not grow anything, for a year, and then start over. Maybe there is some sense in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was using Haddock's for about 20 years, or more, so maybe it needed a rest.

      Delete
  5. That reminds me... When you were younger, didn't you appear in the "Tin Tin" cartoons as Captain Haddocks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our late next door neighbour looked exactly like Capt Haddock, so the garden was originally called Haddock's End; later shortened to just Haddock's.

      Delete
  6. Are you intending to return to France this year Cro?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in about 5 weeks time. We'll be there for 3 months.

      Delete
  7. I sure miss hearing about Haddock's. I'm so sorry that pleasure has been ruined for you. As you say, there's nothing like growing some of your own food. My garden is just getting started for the year, but I'm already eating fresh, tender lettuce from it. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get very jealous looking at your produce. I really miss it.

      Delete
  8. The Polytunnel sounds like a good alternative for you. Fresh veggies picked from the garden are the most delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if it's just a few Courgettes, I love to have something homegrown.

      Delete
  9. My grandparents always had a well tended garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've grown-up with a well stocked garden with chickens, ducks, etc. I feel a bit lost without one.

      Delete
  10. Only a month to go. I hope Haddocks has rested and renewed itself and you can plant a new summer garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gardener has been looking after it, so it'll be one of my first tasks.

      Delete
  11. I spy the church's watering can, I hope John sees it. Can't wait till you get home to the pool and outdoor nature that heals the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  12. cher ami, devenez donc aussi francais, vous serez un francais de qualite , on en a bien besoin et Haddok remplira a nouveau ses importantes fonctions

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...