Sunday 26 February 2023

Jamie Oliver In Aquitaine.


Save this for a cold wet afternoon (which might be where you are today!). It's 48 mins long but is very watchable to the end. Put it on full screen too.

Jamie is Chez Moi in France, and is either cooking or showing many of my favourite things that have kept me living there for the past 50 years.

He starts his trip at Cahors market, and as far as I can see, he stays in the region throughout the show. Why it's called 'In the Pyrenees' I'm not quite sure; it's basically in Aquitaine, and most of the places are known to me personally.

He talks of Confit, Tarte Tatin (Lady M will be having words with him about his version of a Tatin), Truffles, Roquefort, Wild Boar, good country Bread, and several other local delights.


It is here in this very region where I've lived since 1973, and I've loved every minute of it. Everything Jamie says is true, it really is a wonderful area with superb gastronomy based on poverty, home grown produce, and attention to detail.

If you have the time do watch the whole programme, and if the area delights you as much as it does me, you might even find yourself driving down for a quick holiday. It's only 700 Kms due South from Dieppe.

After the Wild Boar hunt, during the gathering, you might notice a man (at 36.09) with a big moustache wearing a beret. He is the man who has given my car its biannual MOT test (controle technique) for the past 40 or so years. A lovely man who oozes Gallic charm.


20 comments:

  1. Apparently blocked on copyright grounds here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here in Australia as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might have to go direct to YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never have guessed that the fellow with the big moustache and beret was French! By the way, it is a good job that Jamie does not make geography videos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll go and look on YouTube. It's going to be an interesting video seeing the region you know so well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I saw him making the Tarte tatin recipe but not him in the Pyrenees. They've got videos of him in Italy, Spain, Morocco, Great Britain but couldn't find him in France. Don't know what up there.
      I don't know where he differs from Lady Ms recipe but I do know that traditional Greek people tear their in rage at his versions of traditional Greek recipes

      Delete
    2. I wonder why it isn't available? It's a shame because it was one of his better programmes. It works OK here.

      Delete
  6. Blocked here too. I blame Brexit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for that, Cro. Just watched it (yes, on big screen as instructed by you). Makes nice viewing on a sunny Sunday, midmorning. The truffle hunting pig and its antics made me laugh so much (to think that one pig can make you a year's income in two months flat!).

    Only thing with Jamie Oliver that I wish he weren't so excitable. Mind you he does share that with Keith Floyd (oh, did I love that guy) though Floyd was enthusiastic in a more mellow way (what with all the red wine swilling).

    Yes, nice, nice, nice, nice. The rugged people. The scenary. The ambience. And that salad! Not easy to come by in England but mache leaves (lambs lettuce) or, as they call it in the motherland, field lettuce can be found. Yet, unfortunately, as so many things in England at what seems, to me, hugely inflated cost - and I say this as someone who doesn't mind paying good money for good ingredients.

    And how touching that musical homage paid to the wild boar. Of course, the duck confit (maybe, even the pate) may sound a bit of a faff to your average (English) microwave cook but well worth the effort considering the satisfaction in the end product and its taste.

    Bon appetit, hope you enjoyed your muesli,
    U

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...yes cold here today...but just the thought of the south of France and all those heavenly foods calls me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been quite cold down there recently, but was at 15 C just a week ago.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a fun watch (blocked in the USA.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will look forward to returning to France this Summer. Will you make all the rounds shown in this video?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's all on our usual places to visit. We love all of it.

      Delete
  11. Hmmmmph!.... It's blocked on copyright grounds here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "This video contains content from Fremantle International who blocked it in your country on copyright grounds"
    Well 48 minutes is too long anyway and when I do have time I could probably find it on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...