Saturday 15 February 2014

Waiting for Spring.


                             

This year, more than any other I can remember, I feel as if I'm just hanging-around waiting for April/May to arrive so that I can continue with life's normal activities. I suspect that countless others feel the same. I suppose it all comes down to what gives us 'purpose' in life; and frankly I'm not too sure at the moment. 
I've had enough of these cold, damp, or even frosty, mornings; the photo above was taken yesterday at 8.30am. I want to put-away my thermal vest, my Barbour, and my gum boots. I'm desperate to feel NATURAL warmth on my face again. 
When Spring does arrive, and if my ever-troublesome back allows, I shall happily return to Haddock's; digging, rotovating, sowing, planting, swearing, etc. And around the house I shall begin mowing, trimming, cleaning, tidying, and, in general, making my little corner of the planet as well organised and productive as I can. Without all this to occupy my days to the fullest, I feel as if life is simply PASSING ME BY. 
At present, all I seem to do is shop, cook, eat, sleep, cut wood, and try to keep warm (interspersed with a bit of dog walking, painting, and everyday DIY stuff).

Of course, I shouldn't really be complaining; compared to parts of the UK, we're having it pretty easy. Even so, I think this bloody Winter lark should be limited to one month only. I'm thoroughly, thoroughly, fed-up with it!




20 comments:

  1. Oh yes - I can commiserate and sympathise on this one - it does tend to get you down - we keep saying spring is just around the corner - but which corner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw some daffodils flowering yesterday ( a garden in Herts)…the little ones..tete a tete I think they are called. Very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a few wild ones en route for the airport on Thursday. None here yet; only swelling buds.

      Delete
  3. It could be worse. Start researching something new or somewhere you would like to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As if to make your point, two of the 'you might also like' suggestions at the bottom of your post were 'Pool-full' and 'As Warm as Soggy Toast'! Let's face it Cro, God really hates you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all seems such a very long way off, but looking at the photos helps!

      Delete
  5. I know exactly how you feel. I also have to contend with someone pacing the house like a grumpy caged animal who is desperate to get back to his potager. Although it might be a swamp by the time we get back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we're all pretty much with you on that one Cro.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been a rough winter. The US has been hit with the worst weather in years and being housebound because of it, I feel as if I am just going through the motions of existing but really not living.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the light in your photo Cro. Gives me hope indeed. This winter has SUCKETH and cannot wait to kiss its sorry ass (in memory of Doolin) Goodbye! Hang in there and so will I

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks positively balmy to me. I'll trade you your mud and drizzle for my four foot deep permafrost and 30 cm of sloppy concrete like snow every third day. Have you ever tried replacing a shear bolt on a snow blower while the ratchet wrench is frozen to you hand? In your sort of weather Mainers wear shorts, T shirts and sandals. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean. After spending january roofing this hasn't been my favourite winter! Roll on spring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry folks but our weather is beautiful. I have not worn a winter coat in about ten years because the winters are so mild now . You should check out Byron Bay's hinterland Cro...there is a small French community there....and no winter compared to what you are accustomed to. A lot of way out people live there who paint their houses and fences orange .....you might find that upsetting along with other things such as shell back ticks big spiders and snakes but if you wear that beret and speak French they will think you are very cool and must be someone very important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My youngest son is at present living in Mullentimby or Mutton-limby or Tullen-bimby; not far from Byron (I think).

      Delete
    2. Mullumbimby is close to the beach and Byron.
      Your son is living in a lovely place. The locals call it Mullum.

      Delete
  12. It's been a hard one this year

    ReplyDelete
  13. Neat photo! I'm in the same camp. I keep slogging through cold snowy chores every morning and try to keep in mind there are many warm wooly fleeces to be had for all the work come May! (IfMay ever comes.......)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you're missing lady Magnon more than you know.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...