Tuesday 23 September 2014

Cro's Lamb Tagine.


 

With a large North African population in our immediate area, Couscous has been a part of our weekly menus since we first moved here 42 years ago.

Essential accompaniments to Couscous are meat or vegetable Tagines, and usually Merguez sausages.

The one above was flavoured with Cumin, Cinnamon, Chillies, and preserved Lemons.

The vegetables were Potatoes, Chick Peas, Courgettes, SLICES OF QUINCE (thank you Rachel), Aubergine, Green Pepper, Carrots, and Red Onion. These should all be cut very 'chunky', and have plenty of colour. They should also preferably be home grown; as were most of mine.

Meat came in the form of a few cheap cuts of Lamb, and a few Merguez. The finished dish was served with Couscous and lashings of fiery Harissa (yellow box below).



I didn't find any QUINCE in my dish, but, as I made enough for two nights, I'll be on the look-out tonight.

N.B. The reason why the couscous is so yellow, is because I added some turmeric. It just adds to the overall colour.

13 comments:

  1. We also eat couscouse here from time to time. You are a good food fotografer, every thing looks so colorful nd tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I image it's eaten throughout the middle east; it's certainly very popular in the southern half of France.

      Delete
  2. My husband hates cous cous - but I love a good tagine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think there was much to hate about it..... does he like pasta?

      Delete
  3. Good idea re. the quince. Some years we have an abundance (not this year). I love a tagine. The sheep took their last journey yesterday and a tagine will be high on my list of meals to make with the cheaper cuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually use breast of lamb, but neck would be good too. Anything cheap!

      Delete
  4. The top photo is one very colourful dish. I love food on my plate that is colourful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Delores. Colourful, tasty, and served on pleasant dishes; and of course, eaten at table.

      Delete
  5. I made a lamb tagine last week Cro but I must say it didn't look as colourful as this one does - shall now try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had tagine before...it looks wonderful. So pretty and colorful......and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merguez, never had that. Is it good? Do you have merguez in the same tagine as the lamb?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I don't know where you'd buy them in the UK. I did once have something that was called 'merguez' in Brighton years ago, but they had a vivid imagination.,

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...