Friday 19 April 2024

Demos.



Weekends in Brighton means the obligatory demonstration or two. They're usually pretty poorly attended, with lot of repetitive shouting and drumming, with the little darlings standing on the corner of some main street, to an audience of zero.

What do we want?

Free money!

When do we want it?

NOW!

Of course at the moment there are pro-Hamas demos, train drivers demos, pro-soup and anti-paintings demos, anarchy demo's, and good old lets lie down in the road demos.  

What do we want?

Anarchy!

When do we want it?

When we can no longer vote for it!

I've only attended one demo in my life and that was when I was a student; I can't even remember what we were demonstrating about. We all went up to town by coach, then when we arrived close to Westminster Abbey, a Communist Party member was handing out irrelevant political placards to everybody as they left the bus. Some fellow students took hold of them without even looking; I told the Commie to get lost. We decided at once that the demonstration had been hijacked, so we went to The Tate instead.

What do we want?

Can't remember!

When do we want it? 

Gawd only knows!

 

18 comments:

  1. I have never participated in a demonstration, there are quite a few here too and I wish they would achieve their goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a demo person either. In my opinion they very rarely achieve their aims.

      Delete
  2. I've never participated in any demos, I'd rather sit at home and read a good book, or any book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have plenty of bad books I could let you have!

      Delete
  3. I went on a March once, opposing the Vietnam war. Must have been 55 years ago. A fun day out with friends and a few drinks later.
    I also think they're a waste of time. All protesters do is annoy workers who have a hard time getting to and from their jobs. And of course they do a lot of damage here pulling up paving stones, burning cars and throwing molotov cocktails. The government takes no notice of demands. They change nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're usually a waste of time, but an excuse to get together with like-minded folk.

      Delete
  4. Over the years, I have joined several demonstrations. Without pressure from citizens, history has shown that nothing much will ever change. One of the hallmarks of a truly democratic country is the freedom protest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, but not the freedom to destroy.

      Delete
  5. I suppose I admire people for sticking up for what they believe in but it just seems to get up peoples noses so they don't gain many more recruits as we have seen from the Just Stop Oil protesters ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Point No 1 about protesting should be not to annoy people.

      Delete
  6. I have never joined a demo.They can get out of hand and things can turn nasty. It just takes a few trouble makers to join the crowd and what began as a peaceful demo. can quickly become a riot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People will always take advantage of mass gatherings. Like the Commie handing out placards. What a cheek!

      Delete
  7. I do not mind protests as long as they are peaceful and not disruptive. Freedom of speech and democracy must be protected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Land rights for Gay Whales, that's something worth smashing the High Street up for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hippo! Yes, let's have a few really worthy causes.

      Delete
  9. Let's try peace...when do we want it now.
    Peace of mind, please. Everyone, you are not mistreated unless you participate in being mistreated . Walk away and take care of yourself. You have the talents , just use them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...