Friday 14 July 2023

My lovely boys.


Until a couple of years ago, Haddock's was perfectly tended. The grass was mown, the vegetable beds weeded, and the boys graves kept tidy.

But since I've abandoned my veg' growing I've rather let the whole area become overgrown. I still mow with Rory, but it isn't anything like how it used to be. I can't become inspired.

So I've now taken away the circle of stones that surrounded their graves, and brought their 'headstones' back to the house, where they live on the auvent wall. Their graves are now marked with a large outcrop of Globe Artichoke plants, so there's no chance of forgetting where they're buried.


Of course I still go there and talk to them. I tell them about Billy and how much he would have liked to have met and known them. I also tell them about things that have changed around the garden, and what crops are doing well.

If you don't know my boys, they are on my sidebar to the right. I still think of them every day. Dear Monty our Lab', his great friend Bok, and our gorgeous not-terribly-friendly tabby Fred. When you've kept company with such a nice bunch of lads, you never forget them.

 

18 comments:

  1. Very lovely of you to keep their gravestones still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of them; gone but not forgotten!

      Delete
  2. Aww! Ever heard of that ice cream brand - Mr Softee? That should be your nickname Cro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been a soft touch.

      Delete
    2. I suspect he is referring to Mr Whippy. His heroine 'Fatcher' worked on that in her early years with Lyons. Can't stand soft ice cream but it seems to sell.

      Delete
  3. I think of my dogs from the past every day - the down side of owning one is that they don't live our life span.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freddy lived to 14, but the dogs were both far less fortunate.

      Delete
  4. How sweet. I know you miss those good boys every day. They will never be forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their memories are everywhere. No different to missing children.

      Delete
  5. Our past and present loving pets do make our lives complete. Montu, Bok and Fred live on in our hearts and minds forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame they couldn't be with us for a bit longer.

      Delete
  6. I feel your pain. I'm dogless for the first time in eighteen years. I had two, I had one put down last year and then this year the other. I have them as screen savers. I stand and cuddle them while the jab goes in, a few twitches later they are gone. Not a bad ending, I wish I could find a nice vet to finish me when the time comes.
    The NHS are catching on, using drivers with god knows what in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. I suspect morphine which is a respiratory suppressant and Midazolam which does much the same job. Both give panicky deaths but are quickish. If you regard a day dying as quick.
      You'll twitch more than the dogs do on a good shot of pentobarbital. Even the captive bolt gun we use on horses and other mammals is a better end than most in the NHS can offer.

      Delete
    2. I tend to agree with you. I was with Monty (the Lab') when he was put down, and it was very quick. In a way I expect he was grateful too. I'm sure animals don't enjoy lingering deaths the same as we don't. Monty had two jabs; one to 'knock him out', and the other to finalise. I'm sure he didn't feel a thing.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I've always been an animal lover. I would like to strangle people who abuse animals; there are some candidates around here!!

      Delete
  8. Goodby good dogs, and a good cat, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all enjoyed good lives, that's all we can do. Joanne, your towels are still getting daily use, and are still in perfect condition. Thanks again.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...