Wednesday 19 May 2010

Haddock's; mid-spring.



Things are progressing at Haddock's. In the top picture you should be able to see the artickokes, two varieties of tomato, and a few rather well-hidden Chasellas vines.

In the lower picture are the spuds, broccoli, red onions, carrots, aubergines, peppers, perpetual spinach, cherry toms, Brussels sprouts, and Swiss chard. And in the little section right at the top are the still tiny courgettes, cucumbers, and butternut squash plants.

Still to go in are winter brassicas, red cabbage, more butternut squash, and more leeks.

I have left one broccoli plant, and one kale plant to produce seed for next year.

My only real worry at the moment is a reasonably serious infestation of WHITEFLY. If anyone knows of a non-chemical solution to this (mostly cosmetic) problem, I would love to hear from you; THANK YOU.... Otherwise, all looks set for a bumper harvest.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. How do you cook butternut squash, Cro?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I peel it (many don't), cut into quarters length-wise, and roast it with chicken, or lamb. Or, I make soup. Frankly, I think it's great any how. I grow a lot, and they last right through until now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is spotless. Looks like it's coming along great with no weeds in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How kind you are, Amy. I do try and keep it tidy. Lady M recently accused me of worrying more about its appearence than what I grow there. Not true, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is beautiful, Cro. No fence? You must not have much of a problem with nibbling critters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just errant horses and deer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cro, what a fantastic garden! We plant French marigolds between the tomato plants - seems to keep the whitefly away - apparently they hate the strong pungent scent. Put some more posts up on your garden progress - would really like that, Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for that Molly. I do usually have Marigolds; I've been a bit slack this year. I'll sow them TODAY.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...