Wednesday 26 May 2010

'Champagne' time.

The hedgerows are awash with Elderflower (at least they are here), so now is the time to make that tastiest of all summer drinks 'Elderflower Champagne'. This is how I make 5 litres, with a bit left over for a smaller bottle. Please note the type of bottles I use in the picture above. These are what you need!

Take a spotlessly clean bucket, into which you place 4 heads of Elderflower (ideally the flowers should be fully open, have had some sun on them, and be picked before mid-day), the zest of 1 lemon (no white pith), the juice of one lemon, 1 and a half pounds of sugar, and 2 tablespoons of white wine vinager (or any other that's colourless) . Into this pour 6 litres of water and stir until all the sugar has disolved. Cover with a clean cloth and wait for 24 hrs.

The following day, strain the liquid through muslin as it's poured into the bottles, and leave for 2 weeks before drinking. The resulting 'Champagne' should be extremely effervescent, so always open outdoors. Serve chilled. It's as easy as that!

On the thorny question of alcohol, I suppose there must be a tiny amount in it, but really not enough to deprive children of the fruits of their labour. Just don't give them too much.

12 comments:

  1. WARNING: Don't keep your 'Champagne' for too long. The build-up of pressure in the bottles can cause explosions. Keep them outdoors, and drink quite soon after the two weeks are up. If by any chance you don't have a seriously fizzy result, you've done something wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very good drink for a warm summer, eh? I've never made it, but I've drunk plenty of other people's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm having memory recall. Did you already post this recipe a few weeks ago, or am I just catching up in the web of time?

    It's a great recipe, and looks yummy.

    Back to my time machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, the previous posting was a reminder to get those bottles out, or to buy some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have a go at making this but I've been banned. Something to do with elderberry wine, exploding bottles and re-decorating the kitchen! The walls were very pretty though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating, Cro. This all seems so French and exotic. Even the exploding bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mais oui. Et si ca explose...? Tant pis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very interesting! alittle off subject but did you look for a steamer juicer online? I found a nice one for 54.00 dollars. It'll do up your grapes nicely. and someday I'm going to try out that beautiful pool of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda. In some ways it's always best to stay with one's own ways, I think I'll continue to make my simple daily hand-squeezed grape juice.

    Too much kit around makes me nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this recipe looks beautiful..now I need to find some elderflowers..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well just about nine days to go before the 'Great Tasting' at least I know I won't forget it, as it will explode if forgotten about. Apparently when Coco Cola bottles were first put on the market there were court cases about the fizz going up into their face, then they made lids with small air gaps, as if fluted, and so as you undid it, the gas released slowly. What about this - isthere a way to open the lids?
    Have a recipe for elderflower cordial - but this is more fun. Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Open with flourish, surprise, and laughter!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...