Thursday 13 May 2010

Handsome?

Amy Saia (http://thatamysaia.blogspot.com/) recently posted this picture of Alain Delon, and the whole question of attractiveness surfaced. I hope she won't mind my using it again!

Women often talk of each other as being 'pretty', 'beautiful', or even 'gorgeous'; men never do that. I have never heard a man refer to another man as being 'handsome', or 'good looking'. We just don't go down that road.

Many years back I had some dinner guests (women) who broached the subject of handsome men. When asked for my suggestion, I just couldn't think of anyone. I simply didn't know, or understand, the criteria. About two days later I suggested to Lady Magnon that maybe Imran Khan (the cricketer) could fit the bill; she agreed.

Alain Delon (above, in his younger days) was unquestionably 'handsome'. Strangely though, I don't remember his name being bandied about at my dinner party. Actually, I can't remember anyone who was named.

So, here you are girls. One of the world's (I'm told) most handsome men. No swooning!

Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

  1. I've never had difficulty in describing handsome men as such, Cro, despite jealousy. Delon - as above - is too much of a pretty-boy to me, the sort that would appeal to gay men too. I think 'handsomeness' is a-sexual, and can be applied to women also. I have known many handsome women who are not particularly pretty. Attractiveness is quite often subjective though - I don't think there is such a thing as universal attractiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I think there is universal beauty - that's where art comes into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father used to refer to women as 'handsome'. I always thought it a strange description! As for AD being a 'pretty-boy', that's exactly what I meant about understanding the criteria. I'm no wiser, and I suppose I don't really want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Methinks you protest too much - out of the closet, Mr Magnon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think everyone's beautiful, but me. Seriously, I have this ability where I can see the point of beauty in every person and I focus on that and draw it forward, just can't do it for myself.

    To me, the most beautiful/handsome/whatever people are the ones who have a sort of flair and spirit behind the flesh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, we've all seen pictures of the beautiful Julia, so I don't doubt for one minute that you aren't equally as beautiful. You're also a sensitive and creative soul. Case proven!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, well, his features are a little too Donny Osmond, for my particular taste. No, I wouldn't say he was handsome. Cute, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe it's also held to be true that only a woman will describe someone as "sweet".

    ReplyDelete
  9. And why is it that only women are 'Feisty'?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could be wrong but wasn't he associated with Brigitte Bardot at one time? Doesn't appeal to me that much. Agree with big sis - I like real people

    ReplyDelete
  11. I take heart from all these 'female' comments. My attitude is vindicated.

    Mise, 'sweet' and 'kind' are synonyms for trouble-free. Words never found in male vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...