Friday 28 May 2010

First mushroom of 2010.

I popped out briefly this morning to see if any 'girolles' were up (they won't be long), and was amazed to find one of my favourite AUTUMN mushrooms; a Parasol.

Lepiota procera, more commonly known as The Parasol Mushroom, is probably the easiest of all mushrooms to recognise. It stands about 30 cms tall, and has a cap of 25 cms wide when fully open. Personally I don't eat the stems, and always try to collect them when they are still younger than the one above, when the Italians refer to them as 'Mazza di Tamburo'; drumsticks.

Fried in olive oil with a light sprinkle of sea salt, they are simply delicious. But as I have only one, I shall make a lunchtime omelette, with parsley and garlic.


Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. That's amazing, Cro. I went to visit Tim Schmit at the Lost Gardens of Heligan years ago, and his office was surrounded with edible boletus during the early summer. Maybe he has green fingers. Maybe you have too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the really hot period we had a few weeks ago has made nature think it's AUTUMN. Bizarre! re. Boletus. It is said here that it's rare to quit the month of May without having had Cepes. No chance this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it faeries that make mushrooms grow?

    It's huge! My little Liam loves mushrooms. I'll send him right over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you get 'parasol mushrooms' in Texas, Amy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly I don't know, but my nephew just enthusiastically reminded me that we have Morel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And you also have truffles! 'Tuber texensis' is similar in all aspects to the Perigord truffle, other than taste. You can't win 'em all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Amy. You're in Kansas aren't you! Stupid Cro.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful picture! I love to look at mushrooms, but don't really like to eat them.

    I visited your blog to thank you for being such an encouraging friend to my daughter/Pottymomma and found your postings to be interesting also.

    Thanks, Nannette

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're very welcome, Nanette, and thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...