Tuesday 25 May 2010

I've cut the ribbon. The pool is offically OPEN.

My late father was totally useless at DIY. He taught me NOTHING. However, I've managed to pick-up enough skill with a screwdriver, saw, and hammer to be able to knock up this new gate for the pool. My last one (which was made from two palettes) lasted a staggering 4 years; I'm hoping this one will last a little longer.

It's official. Summer's on her way. We have daytime temperatures well above 25 degrees C, and I shall now wear SHORTS until at least September (oh yes!).

I have a fairly well-organised mind (unlike the rest of me), and I always pencil-in June 1st as the date on which the pool is opened. This year, however, I've broken with strict tradition, thrown caution to the winds, and opened-up a week earlier (oh what it is to live so dangerously).

Anyway, all went well. The pump started up OK. There were no dead badgers at the bottom when it was uncovered. And the water has returned to its normal crystal clarity after just one day. I'm now waiting for the water temperature to rise a bit, then it's FUNSVILLE.

15 comments:

  1. So, you really HAVE retired, Cro. My mates in the Spanish mountains have a similar pool, and the wild boar come there to drink most nights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the occasional toad, but as yet no boar. The Swallows love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very pretty pool. I'm jealous! (I have to stand under the garden hose to cool off in summer)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a lovely gate. Will you be painting it chalk pink?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ox blood, Mise. Or I might just leave it lazy colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh nice! I'll tell all my mermaid friends to be sure and stop by for a good swim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, should I paint my gate?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you're going to have to suffer through the summer, alas. (Lovely gate, BTW.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That pool looks so inviting! The weather has been a bit cooler here today nothing like 25C.
    Yep, you've done a good job of that gate, Cro.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone for your very kind gate comments. With my scanty DIY knowledge, it means a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whopps! Sorry I never answered the question. I like the bare wood of the gate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely LOVE the water and your pool looks like my idea of paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks so lovely Cro, what a lovely way to spend your summer days..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...