Friday 6 September 2024

Oh my god; just look at that!

 

Having been involved in the world of Art & Design for most of my life, I have come across all sorts of people who design anything from children's clothes, huge Dubai hotels, and even fireplaces. Some of them were far better than others. 

I suppose that most of us who've been through the Art College system were 'indoctrinated' into believing that The Bauhaus was the epitome of good 20th century design. Well, not only do I disagree, but I also think they paved the way to more cheap and shoddy design than they could ever have imagined.

To make any utilitarian object by using a minimum of material, and then make it space-saving, by making it 'stack', is to me the opposite of good design. I want my design to be beautiful and practical, not made from old scaffolding poles, and specifically designed to take-up as little space as possible in the corner of a room. Of course I don't entirely blame The Bauhaus for all such design, but they certainly led the way.

Recently whilst staying at our 'staging post' hotel in OrlĂ©ans, I noticed this absolutely dreadful piece of 'furniture' (above), and was outraged that anyone had thought it good enough to sell,  buy, or offer to clients of the hotel to use. I suppose it epitomises exactly my attitude towards post-Bauhaus design work. It is cheaply made with no attempt whatsoever at 'beauty', and in my opinion is probably the UGLIEST thing I've seen for decades. I didn't study it too closely, but I wouldn't be surprised if it 'stacked' as well.

And if all that wasn't bad enough, they go and paint in PINK.

If there was a prize for 'The Worst Design of the 21st Century', I think this would win hands down!

29 comments:

  1. Its functional - so I suppose it’s a case of ‘ beauty in the eye of the beholder’. Be a sad world if we all liked the same things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine anyone actually 'liking' this.

      Delete
  2. Why do you get "outraged" over some piece of furniture? Save your energy for what's important.

    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's because I care about good design; obviously something you don't.

      Delete
    2. I do care about design. Give me a straight back simple Shaker dining room chair any time.

      What I was trying to convey that some things in life are worth expending exasperation on, others should just be met with a shoulder shrug. If nothing else better for your blood pressure and cortisol levels. Relax, man.

      U

      Delete
    3. You were just trying to be contrary; as usual.

      Delete
  3. Looks like it was made to perch on while you have a quick drink and a sandwich. Could see it being useful in a railway or bus station tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe on a building site, but not much else.

      Delete
    2. I was thinking they could use it for mixing small amounts of plaster.

      Delete
  4. It took me a moment to work out what it was! Not mean for lingering long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first saw it, I had to think what it was. When I realised I was shocked.

      Delete
  5. My husband designed the " Viscount" telephone for STC way back before CAD was available.( early 80s I think) I remember seeing his first pencil sketches as he lay in bed one morning!
    It made a fortune for STC but we didn't see any of it!! They still have the wall mounted version in our local hospital ( St. Albans)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who had the 'copyright' on it? If all copyrights went direct to STC, I suppose there's not much one can do about it. Pity he didn't copyright the design himself.

      Delete
  6. It looks a bit wonky, is it a joke? Can't see how anyone can perch their bum on it. It's not level, their coffee would slide off the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two chairs, and one table, all with just THREE LEGS. Something ain't right.

      Delete
  7. Interesting design reflections from a fellow who has always put great store upon what is visual and how humans can have impact in that zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still horrified by the object. I would liked to have taken a sledge-hammer to it.

      Delete
  8. That sure is ugly. Someone must have gotten it cheap...and that was their only criteria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nasty isn't it. I wouldn't allow it anywhere near my home.

      Delete
  9. Not my cup of tea and, it looks pretty uncomfortable to boot !!! Along the same lines, I know that living in Victorian/Edwardian times probably wasn't wonderful all of the time but, the high streets used to look lovely ..... beautiful buildings, with bay windows filled with tempting things and dressed so well, with blinds and sunshades , uniformly pulled down along the street and beautiful signage.Look at the high streets now ..... a mish mash of ugly buildings, neon green and fluorescent orange signs and garish signage. We have let our standards drop in many things. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of those shops are closed today, with nasty graffiti sprayed all over them. And people don't seem to mind!

      Delete
  10. You also know well that beauty is in the eye of the beholder or the maker who is selling it for big bucks. :) Hope your weather is good so you enjoy life a little more. I am waiting for your first repast you wish to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weather has been awful since we got back. Never mind, there are always things to do. It's our favourite 'Compost Fry-Up' tonight; we're feeling veggie.

      Delete
  11. It looks uncomfortable. That is all it needs to lose in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't try it (as you can imagine), but I'm sure you're right.

      Delete
  12. Ugly. There is nothing appealing about the table and chair. It looks very uncomfortable too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If it looked comfortable, I wouldn't mind so much, but it doesn't. I'd feel very tense and unsafe at my age perching on one of those chairs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...