Wednesday 19 June 2024

Reading.


I've read some appallingly bad books recently. I can't even remember their authors or titles, other than the one that Lady M bought for me (at a charity shop) to read on the Ferry. It was by Peter Mayle, and was about some nonsensical building scheme in Marseilles. One of the others I do remember reading contained the line 'As she edged ever closer to him she could feel her heart pounding'. Even so I managed to read it to the end, but I may never be the same again.

HOWEVER, I am now reading a book from our upstairs library by Kazuo Ishiguro, called 'When we were Orphans'. He wrote 'The remains of the Day, which I also read quite recently.

How good to read intelligent and coherent writing again. I had intended to read some Dickens through the Summer, but I have now found all sorts of delights that I'd forgotten about. Some I shall be re-reading; others for the first time.

For the moment Mr Ishiguro is keeping me handsomely entertained. I'm only reading a short amount each day, hopefully extending my pleasure.

At the same time as buying the Mayle book, Lady M also bought a Jilly Cooper 'romp novel', which she's considering reading. However, I don't think she has the stomach for it; I shall say no more!


26 comments:

  1. Ishiguro is a perceptive and intelligent and entertaining and challenging writer. I could never get into Dickins. My love as a young man was the Russian novelists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather agree. I read a lot of Russian writers as a young man too; and also watched many little-known Russian films, which I found fascinating.

      Delete
  2. The first Peter Mayle was good reading but the rest were second rate. We might have wanted more but he didn't have more to say. Like a lot of those books.
    I have a small pile of non fiction that I read beside the sea. For some reason I find them more enjoyable there than a novel.
    I used to like those Jilly Cooper romps and there were lots of authors just like her. Can't face them now.
    Give me a who-done-it nowadays. But written not written by an american.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'A Year in Provence' made Peter Mayle, but I think he should have stopped there!

      Delete
    2. Written by an English author, not an American. Big difference

      Delete
    3. Other than correct spelling?

      Delete
  3. Is a "romp novel" saucy? I imagine a Cro-like hero chasing giggling milkmaids to a convenient haystack and him laughing, "I love a spirited filly!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure that 'Jilly Cooper' isn't a pseudonym of yours? You have the style down to a T.

      Delete
  4. I loved The Remains of the Day but his other book Never Let Me Go is one I wish I'd never read. It disturbed me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving the present one, but I'm trying not to read it too quickly. I haven't read the one you mention; maybe I shouldn't.

      Delete
  5. I must look out for that one in our local library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha .... after the Jilly Cooper, Lady M can progress to Jackie Collins !!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never Let Me Go is a disturbing but worthwhile read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall probably end-up reading all of them. Everything I've read so far has been beautifully written, and a good tale.

      Delete
  8. Enjoy your summer reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just finished my book, and rather regret it. I would have liked it to continue for longer.

      Delete
  9. You and Lady M. have very different preferences for reading material. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. The charity shop she went to had a very poor selection.

      Delete
  10. I have "Remains of the Day" queued on my Kindle, so will eventually get around to reading it. Must admit to enjoying a good murder mystery or the occasional "girlie" book by Victoria Hislop and similar authors. Depends upon the mood I'm in!
    I remember Peter Mayle's first book which was a great success, then turned into a totally mis-cast TV series and after that he seemed to sink without trace.
    Have you read any of Martin Walker's Bruno books? They are set in rural France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like a good Agatha Christie book. I've read several, and always found them fun.

      Delete
    2. I read one of those recently - kept me reading all the way to the end. Enjoyed it.

      Delete
    3. I often read them in French. It makes me pay more attention.

      Delete
  11. My next book to read is THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL.. a 1940 edition. I hope to be enlightened . It is non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently read a book about a couple (the husband was dying) who walked a long and arduous trail in the UK. Lots of sore feet, rain, and discomfort, but they had fun.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...