Sunday 9 June 2024

Living off the land (partly).


There's no guessing what today's light lunch will be.

A very small Girolle omelet, and a few home-grown Artichokes.



We were promised a good downpour last night, but nothing materialised. It's the combination of rain and warmth that brings out the mushrooms, so I shall have to wait a bit longer.


I had thought that all my Artichoke plants had died, but there are a few survivors, and the flowers are ready to eat. We will have the lot today.

Otherwise there are plenty of Apples, Peaches, small Plums, and of course Figs. It'll be a while before we harvest much of it, but in the meantime there should be more mushrooms, and both wild and cultivated berries. Yesterday I stopped to chat with my lovely neighbour 'L'. She gave me a big bag-full of Cherries, and I later bought Strawberries and Asparagus from a favourite roadside seller that I always visit.

Billy has settled in well. He remembers everything and just changed countries as if it was part of everyday life. The garden is perfect, plenty of flowers and the birds are singing beautifully. It was 28 C yesterday. 

 

25 comments:

  1. How good that the old house and the garden receive you so nicely, and Billy is really amazing in his ability to adapt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel so sorry for him whilst we are travelling, but he never complains, and he's obviously very happy to be back.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's lovely to return to a well tended garden. Our gardener did a wonderful job.

      Delete
  3. Billy is obviously happy to be with his people wherever they take him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. He's out there at this very moment chasing Tennis Balls.

      Delete
  4. I like the way you embrace self sufficiency. You always make something tasty from so few ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to. If it comes free, I'm always willing to accept.

      Delete
  5. Our Collie never minded where she was or what she did as long as she was with us.
    Have fun in the sun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that's what Billy thinks. Unlike us, he's back to his old self almost at once.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear that the burglary isn't polluting your thoughts about a place you have always loved so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, less was taken than we'd imagined. It's simply that they left the place in such a mess. There is Fire Extinguisher powder everywhere.

      Delete
  7. I expect that once you are 'on the road' Billy knows where he is going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he does. It's that horrible 4 hours locked in the car on the Ferry that let's him know we're off again. I always feel so sorry for him.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Not much like Paradise at the moment. There a nasty damp mist everywhere, and it's warm. Not a good combination.

      Delete
  9. The land of good local food, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a fried egg this morning that came from a local farm. It tasted wonderful; so different to my usual supermarket eggs.

      Delete
  10. Living in the countryside is truly wonderful. I can tell you are very happy to be back in France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a country boy, and there's nothing I enjoy more than being out in the wilds, by myself.

      Delete
  11. You sound so happy to be back at your French home even though it has suffered in the burglar's hands ! ..... and the weather sounds gorgeous. Wishing you all a lovely time there. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you J. We're almost back to normal, and loving it.

      Delete
  12. You are back in your country heaven. A great start to an enjoyable summer I would say

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...