Sunday 16 June 2024

Pool opening 2024.


This is what our pool always looks like after winter. Green, toad-filled, and slimy. It has about a foot of leaf-filled water on top of the black plastic cover which needs to be emptied; hence the semi-submerged pump.


Once all the water and 'gunge' has been emptied, we can remove the black plastic cover. Then the pool's water level must be raised by hose-pipe; it was particularly low this year. When at the correct level, the pump can be switched on, the chemicals added, and the water circulation started. Hopefully then the water will become crystal clear.

When all that is done, it looks something like this... The process takes about 3 days.



It poured with rain half way through yesterday's work and we both got soaked. Now all we have to do is wait for the water temperature to rise beyond about 20 C and we'll be splashing about like naughty ducklings.

What a difference it makes to having that nasty black plastic cover to look at. 

It's a hard life!



 

21 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing it is to wake up in the morning to this sight of the blue water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll take a couple of days, but next week (if the weather is good) we'll be swimming again.

      Delete
  2. Don't wait for the water to get warm enough - cold water swimming is THE thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do the toads swim with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got him out this morning; he wasn't too happy.

      Delete
  4. As I'm here permanently my pool is cleaned regularly each week by my poolman, it's not something I do myself. However I have invested in a Pool Skim - a device which fits onto one of the pump outlets and is basically a funnel with large net bag attached which catches all the debris that finds it's way onto the pool. It's the second one I've had and certainly keeps the pool clean. Maybe not a great deal of use for yours when you are absent for so long, unless you can find someone to clean it out occasionally.
    If you're interested, Google Pool Skim, and look at the details. Mine came from the U.S. via Ebay as the company doesn't sell to Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our problem is that we have to leave the pool for 9 months of the year, I wouldn't trust anyone to fiddle with it during our absence. It started up OK, and the water is almost clear after just a few hours.

      Delete
  5. That last sentence should read that the comapny has no sales outlets in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you remembered to bring your new Homer Simpson swimming shorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only brought the 'My little Pony' ones.

      Delete
  7. Nice looking pool, enjoy the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's not too big, and always refreshing.

      Delete
  8. Your summer life is about to begin! I can just imagine myself diving in, when the pool is blue, coming out dripping and cool to a deck chair and a cold drink. And a book!
    Enjoy it all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's about it. I always swim 10 lengths, then reward myself with something.

      Delete
  9. Hugs to you my gentle man. Biggest smile I 've had in months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks as if we may have to wait another whole week before our first swim, when temps should rise to nearly 30 C.

      Delete
  10. I'll see if I can get there by then! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soon you'll be swimming in crystal clear blue
    water. Oh the joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we can hardly wait; but it might be a few days. The weather is a bit dull.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...