Friday 10 May 2024

The Sun has got his hat on, hip hip hip hooray!


OK, we all knew this, but for those few conspiracy theorists in 'Pudding country' or Auchtermuchty, here is the proof. Yes, Brighton really is the sunniest place in the UK with an average of 5 hours sunshine per day.


We all like to think we live in the best place on earth, and that we all have a super-micro-climate, but in fact there's only one place that really does. Need I say more!

I had always thought that somewhere in Norfolk had the most sunshine, even though 'Sunny Worthing' has always claimed the title. Maybe not everywhere has a machine accurate enough to detect the amount of sunshine they receive. Little Dribbling by the Sea may have more than Brighton, but possibly there's been no-one around to measure.

There's also the question of Sun 'quality'. Are they measuring full-on, blue-sky, skin-burning sunshine, or are they including misty, filtered, cold Loch Ness evening twilight sun as well?

As a nation, we do like sunshine. To make sure we have enough of it we rush off en masse to awful places like Benidorm or Torremolinos where they have it by the bucket-full.

I think I'll stay in France/Brighton.

 

12 comments:

  1. The last place I would be rushing off to is somewhere with relentless sunshine. Give me a nice cool ancient wood anytime! ( which is where I shall be with the dog in about half an hour!)
    Did you see Brighton starring in " Location location etc" on Wednesday ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't see it. Today was a good day to post the above; yesterday was a warm Spring day, today it's hot Summer. It's 9 am and already it's 20 C.

      Delete
  2. I am very surprised that Norwich, Chelmsford and Peterborough did not appear on the list. I wonder who did the research? Also - five hours in a day, a month or a year? What does it mean? You make a good point - asking what do we mean by "sunny"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All these 'surveys' should be taken 'cum grano salis'. As I said above, I'd always thought that somewhere in Norfolk claimed the title of 'sunniest'.

      Delete
  3. What day was that?
    I have read that Norfolk has the most sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears not. I was as surprised as anyone.

      Delete
  4. You're in the right place . Summer and winter. How many times this winter did you wear your Burberry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think twice only. It has rained quite often, but I've managed to avoid being out in it.

      Delete
  5. I would think France has less rain and more sunshine than Brighton, UK. Soon you'll be in the sunshine with the swimming pool. Delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where we live in France is hotter in Summer, and colder in Winter. It also has more rain than here.

      Delete
  6. In Stornoway on average, there are 1,234 hours of sunshine per year: Stornoway sees just 50 minutes sunlight per day in December. On Midsummer's Day the islands enjoy 18 1/4 hours of daylight, the sun rising at 04.20 and setting at 22.35, though the nautical twilight continues all night, so it doesn't ever really get pitch black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite expect it's the same where you are, but here it's currently light at 5 am, and remains so until about 10 pm. Wonderful.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...