Thursday 23 May 2024

The perfect garden.


It's Chelsea Flower Show time again, and it got me thinking about my perfect garden.

My perfect garden would be entered through an arch just like the one below.

The interior would be about an acre and walled with ancient Elizabethan brick, with four equal sections for different types of growing. There would be a flower garden, a top fruit garden, a soft fruit garden, and of course a vegetable garden. 'Old Mr Don' would make sure that everything was perfectly tended; ready for me to tinker and claim all the hard work was mine alone.


Against the walls would be espaliered Apple and Pear trees. In the orchard there would be more Apples, Pears, Plums, Peaches, and Figs. And in the veg garden there would be all those wonderful things that I used to grow at Haddock's. The soft fruits would include Gooseberries, Raspberries, Blackcurrants, and Rhubarb. Nothing would be left to chance.

At the central point, around an ancient bird bath, would be my herb garden. Not filled with exotic herbs that would never be used, but with Rosemary, Chives, Horseradish, Parsley, Oregano, French Tarragon, and Basil. 

I want my garden to be practical, with a large compost heap, a greenhouse, and a circular thatched pergola. It would have plumbed water and the occasional power outlet. 

The garden would, of course, be an area not only for relaxation, but also for entertaining. An outdoor kitchen by the Pergola would contain both a BBQ and a Pizza oven.

I would probably spend most of my time there, drinking Tea with Old Mr Don, and grilling meats in the evenings. And guess what; you would be most welcome to join me!


 

19 comments:

  1. I'm walking through the arch with you, finding a shady nook and enjoying the sights sounds and smells of my perfect place. Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice isn't it. Pick yourself some Apples whilst you're there.

      Delete
  2. Of course, you would also have the perfect weather to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The perfect entrance to a perfect garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really covet that archway and the flowers.

      Delete
  4. Sounds quite lovely but how many garden gnomes would you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have one in France. It was a Christmas present from my youngest to his mother in about 1980. It's of a Gnome riding on the back of a Pig, whist holding onto it's ear.

      Delete
  5. That sounds just perfect. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I WOULD join you! That sounds heavenly! The only thing I would add to your perfect garden is an area for herbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's there, around the central bird bath.

      Delete
    2. Er...I wouldn't put the herbs under the birdbath, you'd spend all day cleaning them before eating!

      Delete
  7. A dream garden. Just let me sit in this peaceful haven, smell the flowers, read a book and watch Mr Don do all the work. Will Billy be allowed to chase butterflies and keep Peter Rabbit away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps I'll be in the pergola when the steaks are done.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Billy will certainly be there. He's quite well-behaved. I can hardly wait to get those steaks on the fire.

      Delete
  8. Your garden sounds perfect and totally enjoyable. When does construction start? Do you have a date for the grand opening? I'll bring some Kansas City steaks and a Prime Rib roast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish! I'm afraid my garden designing days are over. The last one I designed and planted (in France) has now been sold. I'm now wondering what it'll be like when I see it again in a few weeks time. I like the sound of those Kansas City Steaks. I once ate a Steak Sandwich in Miami, and it was literally a huge tender steak between two slices of bread.

      Delete
  9. I'm afraid I got fed up with Chelsea flower show years ago when it went all poncy and all that 'outdoor rooms' and designer gardens and all that, but I do love a nice walled garden as you describe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...