Sunday 12 May 2024

Remains of the Day


At a recent jumble book stall, Lady M bought a few books one of which was Ishiguro's 'The Remains of the Day'.

The book was made into a film in 1993 by the wonderful Merchant/Ivory combo. Anthony Hopkins played the main role (Stevens).


Stevens is a butler, and the book concerns his adventures, his relationship with both the previous and the new owner of the grand stately home where he works, and especially his role as butler. It also concerns an important international meeting which his previous employer was hosting. He is meticulous about his work to the extent of mania. He is self-obsessed, and has devoted his life to perfecting his skills; following in his father's footsteps. He isn't a particularly pleasant character.

He refers to the importance of 'speaking with a good accent and honing one's command of language', as well as good general knowledge on all subjects including 'falconing and newt-mating'. Obviously a butler of the highest standards.

I've not seen the film version, although I'm sure I've seen tiny clips from it.

I'm enjoying the book, which I have a feeling I might have read previously. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but to me it certainly deserved its Booker Prize for the writing, if not the actual content.

Cro's verdict: A book that keeps your interest. 8/10

 

24 comments:

  1. Didn't the film version have Anthony Hopkins playing the role of butler? I'm sure that I've seen it but don't recall much detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I haven't seen the film but his face is so familiar in the role that I must have seen clips from it.

      Delete
    2. I will look for the book, it seems interesting to me. It was translated into Hebrew.

      Delete
    3. You might be shocked at one part. I thought its inclusion was unnecessary. I'll leave it to you to discover.

      Delete
  2. I saw the film and remember that I really enjoyed it but it was so long ago that I can't remember the film now. I remember Anthony Hopkins though who I really like as an actor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the perfect part for him. He was made for it.

      Delete
  3. I've just seen that the film is on TV TODAY. BBC4 9 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the book but I absolutely loved the film, although I suspect perhaps the film wasn't true to the book, but there you go, they never are. For me it was a sad story of unrequited love, due to his own stiff upper lip. If only he'd let go a bit he might have had a happier life. I'd be interested to see what you thougth about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book didn't entirely suggest that. It was left a bit in the air about his relationship with the Housekeeper. They certainly had a difficult relationship.

      Delete
  5. I saw the film years ago, and our book club read it a while ago.....we generally enjoyed it I think!
    Emma Thompson played Miss Kenton. It came out in 1993.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's on TV tonight. I won't watch it as there's something else I want to see.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like an interesting read, better than a novel I read on the ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little confusing. It's not at all a beginning, middle, and end, book. I think it could have been a bit better chronicled. A good book regardless.

      Delete
  7. I have this in my unread list on my Kindle and just haven't got around to reading it yet. Not sure if I'll watch the film, being an hour ahead here, it will start at 10 p.m. and finish in the wee small hours. I'm an early riser, so that's too late for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going out to a BBQ this evening so I won't even be watching what I'd planned to watch.

      Delete
  8. Oh I hope you get to watch the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've watched it on tv about three times over the years. I don't know how true it is to the book, but the film was most enjoyable.
    Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't know, as I've only read the book. I imagine it would be much the same.

      Delete
  10. Was the story seems biographical. Is it based on a real person?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, but it is written in a way that suggests that much is based on fact.

      Delete
  11. I've seen the film. I can remember Anthony Hopkins as the butler. He was darn good as usual. Can't remember much else. I've got a pile of good books to read from our bazaar. You never know what you'll find and some are gems..... The rest are who-dunnits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the only from from the four that my wife bought that I shall read. The others are not my style!

      Delete
  12. In the film he was such a sad man. It was all about duty first.You felt sorry for him. Excellent film.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...