Saturday 18 May 2024

Sparra' grass


It's Asparagus season, and we're making the most of it.

Really good locally grown Asparagus is in the shops at about £1.90 (Sainsbury's) to £2 (M & S) per 250 gm pack. Two packs are plenty for two people, and it's gorgeous.


I make no excuse that we tend to gorge ourselves on Asparagus when it's in season. We eat it almost every day.

About 5 minutes cooking time and a healthy squirt of good Mayo, and you have a meal fit for any King.



The season doesn't last long, so let's all enjoy ourselves whilst we can.

I can't think of anything else that makes such a good simple lunch in the merry month of May. 

Bon Appetit.
 

9 comments:

  1. I have never tried it with mayo, must experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love it lightly roasted. Four years ago I planted asparagus on our allotment and in our garden. I knew it was the long game and you have to give it several years without picking it to let it grow in strength and then it can last for twenty years. The first couple of years it came up and we left it alone. Last year hardly any showed and this year has disappeared altogether both at the allotment and at home. I am so disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father grew it when I was small, but we children were forbidden from eating it. It produced a very small crop and he made sure it was all for him.

      Delete
  3. I love Asparagus lightly steamed and served with a pot of softened butter, I could honestly eat it until it came out of my ears!
    My grandfather had a huge vegetable garden, and had been growing Asparagus for many years, and I became something of an addict at a very tender age!
    I was a bridesmaid when I was 11 years old, and being so young, was put immediately behind the happy couple to go to the buffet. I loaded my plate with so much Asparagus that my parents were ashamed, I barely left any for anyone else!
    I was a child, social mores meant nothing to me then! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always used to eat it with melted butter, but these days I prefer Mayo.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if its still asparagus season here too. I love it but rarely cook it. It's on my shopping list for Monday's shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always eagerly await for it to hit the shops. Be warned; don't buy Spanish asparagus, it is probably grown indoors and tends to be totally tasteless.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...