Tuesday 21 May 2024

Taboulé


Possibly my most useful gastronomic instruction that I received in France, was that of the preparation of Couscous, and its use in Taboulé.

Down in the South West of France, Taboulé is probably the most common accompaniment to outdoor BBQ eating. Plenty of Chicken, Pork, Lamb, and Merguez (spicy sausages) on the BBQ, accompanied by Taboulé and a simple salad; and I'm in heaven.
 

So, just in case it's new to you; this is how it's made.

First prepare your Couscous. Then, when cooled and fluffed, add a chopped Red Onion, a chopped Tomato, and a good handful of chopped fresh Mint. Add the juice of a Lemon, a splash of Olive Oil, and some salt. Mix together, put in Fridge until required.

Everyone loves it. It's simple and quick to make, and it accompanies all grilled meat perfectly. Just sprinkle plenty of ground Cumin on the meat before serving.

I can remember the very moment when I first tasted Taboulé, and at once I asked the lady of the house how it was made. We were at a lovely old, and very cluttered, Chateau to celebrate the upcoming wedding of a good friend, and I felt as if I'd just made a very important discovery (which I had).

We've never looked back, and on Sunday evening we ate the above with some English 'Chorizo Style Sausages' from Sainsbury's. A little Harissa added to the delight.

Minimum effort; maximum pleasure!

 

12 comments:

  1. sounds lovely, I'll give that a go for lunch today I think! I have all the ingredients at hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great dish to have at hand. It goes with almost everything and is made in minutes.

      Delete
  2. New spuds dressed in melted butter is what you need with a barbecue. None of that foreign muck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like halved new pots, tepid with Mayo. But, of course, with some Taboulé on the side.

      Delete
  3. How strange, I was thinking about buying Couscous today and normally walk past it on my way to the check-out. I had to double back for something and completely forgot. I'll pop in later in the week for a packet.
    In a nearby village there was a restaurant (run by a couple of Brits) which advertised a three course menu of couscous dishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We eat a lot of couscous, more that rice or pasta. It's so easy to prepare, etc; and I love it.

      Delete
  4. Couscous is something that hasn't caught on around here. I used to make a salad similar to yours but it's not traditional. The children like it but not the parents s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that Taboulé would ever replace the classic Greek Salad.

      Delete
  5. This sounds delicious. Cumin on BBQ'd meat is something I will try too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a big Cumin fan; for me it lifts almost everything.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...